Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

March’s Challenge is upon us!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month’s winner SH73...

_BC_Comp_Chal_2020_03.png

Usual rules apply:

✔️Entries must be < 5 minutes and written/recorded this month. 

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No vigorously annoying pipe instruments

Deadline for entries is Tuesday 24th March.

Edited by Skol303

9 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Anyway , I might have to write another one , the first attempt appears to have turned out as a slow Jaaaazzzzz  waltze 

niiiice , almost antithesis of the picture , respite almost , hmmmm 9_9

Mrs J has just offered, when seeing the picture " well, you want something noisy or very quiet"..... mmmm !!!

Here is my contribution to the March 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: SH73..!
I can't claim composition of the piece, of course ('The Swan', Saint-Saens, from Le Carnaval Des Animaux...); this is more an exercise in arranging (or rather, how not to..!). All too often, I'm as guilty as the next in thinking 'What if I added such'n'such..? All too often, there's an inrush of dopamine, and so on to the next one, rinse and repeat. The end result turns out to be a total mess (in my case, pretty much every time, although there are some folks that get away with it...). Just like the 'Peter Principle', however, I don't go back, I 'promote' the sludge up to the next level, and add a bit of t***-polishing 'mastering', to roll it in glitter. This, then, is a warning against over-production. Less is More.
A fine Kontakt Viola, joined by equally fine Kontakt Emotional Pianos become progressively overwhelmed by successive 'doubling' from Kontakt Strawberry, then LPC, guitars, themselves 'augmented' with XXL helpings of Amplitude FX. A completely redundant Superior 2 drum track accentuates the farce; the whole has been concocted with Reaper, of course.
Apologies to sensitive souls; thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fingers211 said:

Bravo Douglas !!

Despite having the ageing ears of a 12 bar rocker, I really enjoyed listening to that...

R91KekF.gif

Cheers..! I realised that some of the panning was a bit squiffy, so I've uploaded a corrected file since. Nowt too radical; it's still good..! ;)

Ok a silly one from me,

I was holding out for a triangle solo from @Teebs but I didn't really have the time to offer him to enable him to zone in on  the direction I was offering 

So I did it myself in the end................... as you will probably tell 

Neighbours

• Like 2

On 03/03/2020 at 14:48, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the March 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: SH73..!
I can't claim composition of the piece, of course ('The Swan', Saint-Saens, from Le Carnaval Des Animaux...); this is more an exercise in arranging (or rather, how not to..!). All too often, I'm as guilty as the next in thinking 'What if I added such'n'such..? All too often, there's an inrush of dopamine, and so on to the next one, rinse and repeat. The end result turns out to be a total mess (in my case, pretty much every time, although there are some folks that get away with it...). Just like the 'Peter Principle', however, I don't go back, I 'promote' the sludge up to the next level, and add a bit of t***-polishing 'mastering', to roll it in glitter. This, then, is a warning against over-production. Less is More.
A fine Kontakt Viola, joined by equally fine Kontakt Emotional Pianos become progressively overwhelmed by successive 'doubling' from Kontakt Strawberry, then LPC, guitars, themselves 'augmented' with XXL helpings of Amplitude FX. A completely redundant Superior 2 drum track accentuates the farce; the whole has been concocted with Reaper, of course.
Apologies to sensitive souls; thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

there's not a lot wrong with that mix old timer , a great listen :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Entry into this months basschat comp, inspired by the picture for this month.
Fender squire guitars and t'bird bass (through various guit rig5 settings) and vocals, all me. Incidental sounds from "freesounds", and acknowledged. Ez does drums.

Be warned !! No amount of time in isolation can make up for a lack of talent !!

Edited by fingers211