Why become a member? ×

A Safe Way To Stack Cabs With Castors/Wheels.

binky_bass

Any bright ideas?

I have two cabs, both with excellent castors that make moving them much less horrendous however it makes stacking them with the castors on exceptionally dangerous!

They're matching Mesa Boogie Vintage Powerhouse 4x10 cabs and both have flat tops (no divets like some Marshall cabs have) and the castors are not locking. 

I want to be able to stack them without constantly having to remove the castors from the top cab. 

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to stack these safely without me removing the castors, without permanently altering either cab and in the knowledge the castors do not lock.

Ta! Russ.

I shan't be tipping them! 

A: Visually I don't want them on their side! Can't be having a 90° logo!

B: The sides have no 'feet' on them so they'd get scuffed instantly.

I think I've actually found a possible solution! Black silicone bottomed castor cups! Might work...

20200301_154532.thumb.jpg.ec9b7eb6161784bff2062e6d71ebe792.jpg

Edited by binky_bass

I've 3D printed two castor cups with flat bottoms and three screw holes to go on top on my 1x15 to stop my TE 4x10 combo rolling around.

That said I have fitted castors with two locking ones for the front pair (the non-locking ones go in the cups)

These castors are Mesa's own Track-Loc castors, to my knowledge they don't do a locking variant, which to me has always seemed odd. Realistically it would cost them pennies to add a lock to the two front castors, but hey, they don't even include the relevant footswitch on a £3600 amp! 

I'll try these silicone bottomed cups, if it's stable enough then problem solved! If not, then I shall report back here for more ideas! 

Nah, the Mesa Track-Loc castors simply slide out of the metal plate bolted onto the bottom of the cab, the cab also has rubber feet which then become the contact point when the castors have been removed.

They do remove easily, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered to do it so wanted a lazy mans resolution!

Screenshot_20200301-211343_Google.jpg.2e0db6dbb5647a5bd12a3d938fd8b3a5.jpg

28 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Nah, the Mesa Track-Loc castors simply slide out of the metal plate bolted onto the bottom of the cab, the cab also has rubber feet which then become the contact point when the castors have been removed.

They do remove easily, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered to do it so wanted a lazy mans resolution!

Screenshot_20200301-211343_Google.jpg.2e0db6dbb5647a5bd12a3d938fd8b3a5.jpg

Get a roadie and he can slide the castors off for you?

Well that's the dream!

The point of my request for suggestions was to find a solution that avoids A. removing the castors. B. not to have the cabs on the side, and C. not making any 'destructive' adjustments. I want to simply be able to plonk one cab on top of the other as quickly as possible. Thems the rules! Hopefully the silicone castor cups will do the job. 

Edited by binky_bass

If you look closely at this oldie picture, wheels on the bottoms of the cabinet and then stacked sideways. In my mind this also made sense as the ports were in a vertical line up one side. Just like the Big Twin II, for example. Ahhh, I miss that ole rig!

EE26018F-580E-4682-9F68-690BF232AAD3.jpeg

13 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Not an option sir for the two reasons mentioned above. Non negotiable for me! 

Then fit the castors on the side!

Those Mesa castors look like bog standard off the shelf items to me, why not buy some ordinary locking castors with the same size plate (you should be able to get better quality with proper tyres and even a ball bearing hub for less than the cost of those ones!)

• Like 1

I wouldn't remove the castors each gig because having done that with a few Mesa cabs in the past, it's one of those fiddly jobs, especially if you're doing it in a rush, that can leave you with a big cut in your finger if it suddenly moves when you're applying a lot of pressure. Personally, if you're not going to put them on their side, I'd permanently remove the wheels from the top cab and use a trolley board to move it around (although I have to say I like Dood's logic for using them on their side however). 

Edited by Beedster

You could very easily create a stable spacer to sit between the 2 cabs - timber 'H' shape that would separate the cabs, leaving the upper cab castors not quite touching the lower cab top.

Spray black for aesthetics. :)

724453637_StackCastorsFrame.thumb.jpg.b3aad50ff72f1861f700d33c9f01333f.jpg

EDIT: Maybe add rubber or foam to the spacer to prevent vibration / scuffing :)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, Teebs said:

You could very easily create a stable spacer to sit between the 2 cabs - timber 'H' shape that would separate the cabs, leaving the upper cab castors not quite touching the lower cab top.

Spray black for aesthetics. :)

724453637_StackCastorsFrame.thumb.jpg.b3aad50ff72f1861f700d33c9f01333f.jpg

EDIT: Maybe add rubber or foam to the spacer to prevent vibration / scuffing :)

You'd better take a lie down, having such a good idea can be dangerous for those of a delicate constitution.

• Haha 1