Why become a member? ×

Shameless cashing in/Nikki Sixx

NancyJohnson

I'll admit girlish crushes on the first Motley Crue album and the one with John Corabi and I'll also admit to thoroughly enjoying Neil Strauss' The Dirt.  I do dip into the Nikki Sixx Instagram page once in a while.

Anyhow, earlier today I noticed Schecter are making a limited number of those hideous Thunderbirdesque monstrosities (in Theater of Pain livery) along with a greeny coloured distressed Sixx Jazz Bass.  Interest piqued, I stupidly clicked through a link and saw he was pawning these off after US shows at $5,000 and $5,500 each respectively per night.  $10.5k a night, with many slots already sold out.  Bring a guest and your camera, the blurb says.  For that money, I'd expect a decent dinner with a decent bottle of red and a chauffeur to drive me home.

Rock and forking roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Forward wind a few years and I managed to get the control plate of my Lull BBM5 signed by Bryan Beller after The Aristocrats gig at Islington last month. Cost = $0 and I’ll play that bass every gig.

That's because Beller has a level of class that Sixx and, especially, Gene Simmons could never begin to understand...

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, peteb said:

That's because Beller has a level of class that Sixx and, especially, Gene Simmons could never begin to understand...

This is so very true, Bryan is a super approachable guy who is all about the music, and at the top of his game, not the money where Nikki Sixx and Gene Simmons could (and can) barely play their instruments to the point of needing other people to record their albums for them (Phil Chen for instance) or a lot of producer help to even come up with a bassline.

I respect Gene Simmons for his entrepreneurship, not his musicality. Nikki Sixx I respect for overcoming addiction, not his musicality. 

• Like 1

The Corabi album is immense, let’s get that out of the way first.

Now, the shameless cash-grab nature of it is quite sad, but if someone is willing to pay the money, well, you’d be a fool not to take it, no? This, coming from a band who signed contracts stating they’d never play again after the conclusion of their last “farewell” tour and who have cashed in in all manner of depravity, is a little tame, in truth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I’d add that I consider the sale of “meet and greet” packages just as sad and pathetic for all involved and this, as far as I’m concerned, is just another extension of that.

On the meet and greet thing, I felt great that Tommy Lee didn't want anything to do with these things.

• Like 1

I think all this is a bit sad, the money that those guys have made over the years, to do this just seems a bit low. That said, to an uber-fan the opportunity to own a musical instrument that has been played by one of their heroes at the gig they were at, well each to their own, not for me but to some it may be the best thing since the proverbial slice of bread.

Kiss and Motley are largely all icing and no cake.  But.... it's the sort of thing that gets kids picking up guitars, basses and drum sticks (and probably chop, but that's another issue...) for the first time, so it has its place, I guess.

Also... a fool and his money etc..

Edited by odysseus
  • Like 1

I looked at the deal offered by Nikki Sixx on the last Motley tour where you could buy a bass which he played for 1 song then was signed and handed to you by his tech guy. Again the cost was around 4K I think , but didn't include meeting the man himself or even a ticket for the gig!!

Thanks but no thanks.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Not quite on topic , and feels like a noobie question but can’t find the answer out there. What’s the weird bracket on the Nikki Sixx Blackbird ? 

I've been known to hook my little finger around the bridge...it does seem to give you more control when you're playing 16s.  Bloody uncomfortable after a while though.

Motley-Crue.jpg?w=980&q=75

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I’d be willing to pay extra for a bass that was guaranteed to have never been touched, let alone played by either Simmons or Sixx. 

That’s just me though. 

You can have any of mine for $10,000 - I’ll throw in a backstage pass and a brew.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, HazBeen said:

This is so very true, Bryan is a super approachable guy who is all about the music, and at the top of his game, not the money where Nikki Sixx and Gene Simmons could (and can) barely play their instruments to the point of needing other people to record their albums for them (Phil Chen for instance) or a lot of producer help to even come up with a bassline.

I respect Gene Simmons for his entrepreneurship, not his musicality. Nikki Sixx I respect for overcoming addiction, not his musicality. 

I doubt Sixx or Simmons have ever been too bothered about people respecting their musical ability. 200 odd million album sales between the bands gives them a fairly solid reason for not caring too in fairness. Each to their own and all that though obvs...

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Whaaaaaaat?

More information please!

Hmmmm, I may have gone and mixed up Phil Chen with Mike Porcaro ..... point still holds up, but apologies for the mix up.

I will give you a nice Simmons solo to make up for the mistake.... :)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, HazBeen said:

To be fair, Sixx & Simmons have done what they have done and although I'm not a particular fan of either band, they are each responsible for more than a few good tracks. By all accounts, Nikki Sixx is a pretty decent human being these days now he's sober. 

The thing is that they are just treating fans like marks. These are the people who made them what they are and trying to exploit them in this way just seems a bit cheap. Beller is a proper musician (rather than a 'Rock Star' like Sixx & Simmons) and seems to appreciate his fans and how they have made his career possible. 

I saw Pat Travers about tens years ago at a half full club in Leeds. At the end of the gig, he said before the last song that they would be going to get changed but if anyone wanted to have a beer or to chat or get anything signed, him and his band would be at the bar in twenty minutes. He may not be as big a star as Gene Simmons, but I know who I have the most respect for.