Why become a member? ×

NRD (New Rig Day) Mesa Boogie Strategy & Two Mesa 4x10 Cabs.

binky_bass

• 3 weeks later...

Quick answer... no where. 

I like gear, I like chopping and changing and playing with various amps etc. so when this rig came up on GuitarGuitar brand new and with close to 60% off, I sold my existing amp and one bass and bought it. 

Used it at practice prior to lockdown and it genuinely sounds incredible, so I stand by my choice!

A tad unecessary? Yes. Do I care? Nope. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Quick answer... no where. 

I like gear, I like chopping and changing and playing with various amps etc. so when this rig came up on GuitarGuitar brand new and with close to 60% off, I sold my existing amp and one bass and bought it. 

Used it at practice prior to lockdown and it genuinely sounds incredible, so I stand by my choice!

A tad unecessary? Yes. Do I care? Nope. ;)

Good man. Precisely my attitude. If I can, and I want to I will.

OK I have bought a few lemons and sold on some gear I maybe ought to have kept. 

But each rig has its own charms. The only thing I must not do any more is buy an 8x10. Even so I still want one 

The same can be said for so many of us that have 'collections' of instruments. No, I can't play 27 basses at once, but it's more than playing them for me. It's the thrill of the chase of a rare and exciting bass, it's having been able to play some of the very best instruments out there by trading up, selling on, switching around etc. I've forged a few good friendships out of it too with like minded people who enjoy trading and being able to sample other crazy instruments! It's all good fun! I absolutely agree it's not 'needed', but it's something I very much enjoy!

I do love playing them in turn, but I also get a lot of satisfaction out of them all as displayed pieces of art and from building a collection.

Keeps me out of trouble!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think Mesa just built out cabs from what they have lying around! One of my cabs has a switchable crossover and tweeter dial, the other just has the tweeter dial, plus I can't see in the catalogue any that were with the silver/tan grille, I suspect the silver/tab grille one was perhaps a custom order that didn't come to fruition. 

On 10/06/2020 at 13:32, binky_bass said:

I think Mesa just built out cabs from what they have lying around! One of my cabs has a switchable crossover and tweeter dial, the other just has the tweeter dial, plus I can't see in the catalogue any that were with the silver/tan grille, I suspect the silver/tab grille one was perhaps a custom order that didn't come to fruition. 

Okay, a bit of additional information that you might find interesting:  My PowerHouse Vintage 4x10" does have the cross-over installed in the back, however the 1x15" does not (despite having a 400 W @ 8 Ohm rating just like the Standard PowerHouse 115):

https://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/bass-cabinets/powerhouse-series/standard-powerhouse/1x15.html

Indeed, it seems like a hodgepodge of some residual parts as Mesa was getting the last few of these cabs out the door before killing off the series.  I don't need the crossover for the 115 anyway, but I do have the additional headroom of a 400 W cab, so that's great (unlike the Traditional PowerHouse 115, which has a 300 W rating):

https://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/bass-cabinets/powerhouse-series/traditional-powerhouse/1x15.html