Why become a member? ×

NRD (New Rig Day) Mesa Boogie Strategy & Two Mesa 4x10 Cabs.

binky_bass

So after a fair amount of faffery with GuitarGuitar (who actually have extremely good customer service!) I finally now have the full and complete matching rig in hand! And it is a MONSTER!!

I've had more rigs than I can count over the years, but this thing is obscene. The volume is astonishing, I got it up to 50% volume on Thursday at Mushroom Studios and dared not go higher as I could feel the vibrations in my lungs (and I'm not joking!)

The tone is simply stunning, deep and clear with crisp articulate highs. The ONLY downside is that it weighs 240lbs all in which I can forgive as the build quality is utterly flawless with no expense spared on build materials. 

I don't see myself moving this on ever, I wouldn't know where to start to get something better/comparable. Truly a remarkable rig, definitely need to keep up my weight training to move this one about! 

20200229_141024.thumb.jpg.33e22dea9fc21bb30554b035f123db4e.jpg

• Like 8

Any one of the Walkabout, Big Block 750, Trace Elliot V6 or EBS Fafner.

I used to have an M6 but I found it to be too ‘clean’ sounding. I already had the Fafner and V6 which also have massive clean headroom so I sold the M6 and bought the Big Block which has less clean  headroom and a built in rock grunt tone. I love it and the overdrive feature is brilliant once you set the levels correctly. 

I have never tried the Prodigy/Strategy amps. In terms of features though they look exceptional.

Hi @tvickey,

The cabs are 600w each and run at 8 ohms, they have 2 speakon inputs on the rear and an adjustable tweeter. They don't have interlocking corners but do have track-loc castors that remove easily allowing the sturdy rubber feet to then take over. Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Hi @tvickey,

The cabs are 600w each and run at 8 ohms, they have 2 speakon inputs on the rear and an adjustable tweeter. They don't have interlocking corners but do have track-loc castors that remove easily allowing the sturdy rubber feet to then take over. Hope that helps!

Would you happen to know what the power and impedance rating of the 1x15" is?  I can't find 'Vintage' on the Mesa website... just "traditional".  GuitarGuitar website says 600 Watts for the 1x15" Vintage, but that doesn't match with the Mesa website for "traditional" (which they say is 300 Watts).  

15 minutes ago, tvickey said:

Would you happen to know what the power and impedance rating of the 1x15" is?  I can't find 'Vintage' on the Mesa website... just "traditional".  GuitarGuitar website says 600 Watts for the 1x15" Vintage, but that doesn't match with the Mesa website for "traditional" (which they say is 300 Watts).  

Vintage Powerhouse and Traditional Powerhouse are different series

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks.  So is "Vintage" the same as "Standard", but simply with a different face (fabric in the former, metal grille in the latter)?  If that is the case, then it looks like 400 W at 8 Ohms.

Edited by tvickey

The Mesa specs on the GuitarGuitar website have a good few errors in them. The 1x15 I'm sure is 300w but can't comment on the ohmage. 

Technically one of my cabs in a Traditional with a black grill, even though they never made black grill Traditionals, so I assume it was the last one out of the factory and they only had a black grill left! The other is a 'Vintage' which has slightly different cones and has a built in crossover in the rear, again this seems to be somewhat of an oddity as this spec cab doesn't exist in any Mesa catalogue.

The cabs I have, and the remaining Traditional/Vintage ones on GuitarGuitar seem to be built out of whatever Mesa had left from that series so they're all a little different! (From my experience and looking at the 2 cabs I have vs the spec available on Mesa's website).

4 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

The Mesa specs on the GuitarGuitar website have a good few errors in them. The 1x15 I'm sure is 300w but can't comment on the ohmage. 

Technically one of my cabs in a Traditional with a black grill, even though they never made black grill Traditionals, so I assume it was the last one out of the factory and they only had a black grill left! The other is a 'Vintage' which has slightly different cones and has a built in crossover in the rear, again this seems to be somewhat of an oddity as this spec cab doesn't exist in any Mesa catalogue.

The cabs I have, and the remaining Traditional/Vintage ones on GuitarGuitar seem to be built out of whatever Mesa had left from that series so they're all a little different! (From my experience and looking at the 2 cabs I have vs the spec available on Mesa's website).

Thanks for the comments.  Sounds like a hodgepodge of Mesa bits!  I was looking for a 400 W 1x15" :( but one that is cheaper than the Mesa Subway price!

Edited by tvickey

36 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Just out of curiosity, how did you discover which is which?  Was it due to the dimensions in addition to the cones?  There seem to be some very minor differences according to the website... 1/8 of an inch in height :)

Mesa Powerhouse Standard (metal grille):

25 1/8 H
24 1/2 W
19 3/4 D

Mesa Powerhouse Traditional (fabric front):

25 H
24 1/2 W
19 1/2 D

Well, my initial order was for 2 silver grilled Traditional cabs, GG then called me to say one had a black grill, they gave me a little incentive to take it so I did... when it arrived it had slightly different corner protectors as well as the different grill, after a bit of tooing and froing GG took back the silver one and sent me another black one, which has again different corner protectors that either the silver or the black one and has a different back panel... so it seems to me that Mesa built iut the last remaining Traditional series cabs with whatever they had left (which doesn't impede the quality at all) and then Westside Distribution (UK Mesa distributors) sold them to GG at a discount price as they were end of line. That's my theory anyway! 

Still, my new full rig has an RRP of £6200, I paid £2600 in total and it's all new (well, new old stock I suppose!) so I'm not complaining!!

• Like 2

Mesa taking a leaf out of Fender's manual it would seem. I had a similar experience when I ordered a second Vintage Powerhouse 2x10 and the grilles were different shades, no big deal but annoying. Could be that one was a display item and had faded, but as you can see, it's a whole lot of fade :(

IMG_9392.thumb.JPG.fab7ec713d3cc921075b941ae8001fcc.JPG

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Mesa taking a leaf out of Fender's manual it would seem. I had a similar experience when I ordered a second Vintage Powerhouse 2x10 and the grilles were different shades, no big deal but annoying. Could be that one was a display item and had faded, but as you can see, it's a whole lot of fade :(

Oh wow... Yeah, I'm concerned about this now... for example, if I order one 1x15" and a 4x10" from GuitarGuitar.  I've asked them to confirm that the faces look the same!

The Mesa cabs don't have interlocking corner protectors, they have Track-Loc castors that remove by sliding them out which then leave the rubber feet to take the load, they're 100% safe to stack if you slide out the track-loc castors of the top cab thus utilising the rubber feet. 

Floor cab with castors attached and rubber feet not making contact:20200302_164349.thumb.jpg.7ef63f3d5189d8609563b28f362c4158.jpg

Top cab on top of floor cab with castors removed and rubber feet making contact:20200302_164405.thumb.jpg.06a12f9f98e920bba4bb33f0fa545d41.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Thanks 1