Why become a member? ×

Stage Monitors - why are they so bad?

la bam

9 hours ago, la bam said:

I think eventually I'm gonna have to go a decent 12 pa cab (qsc k12 etc) and hopefully tablet controlled levels.

As soon as you get a mixer that allows you to control your own mix with a tablet you're in a great position to look at entry level iems. That will cost an awful lot less than a QSC k12 and almost certainly make your life easier. You can tweak away to your hearts content without upsetting anyone else in the band or the sound man. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

As soon as you get a mixer that allows you to control your own mix with a tablet you're in a great position to look at entry level iems. That will cost an awful lot less than a QSC k12 and almost certainly make your life easier. You can tweak away to your hearts content without upsetting anyone else in the band or the sound man. 

Yeh, that's my favourite option. It's only ever a tweak of vocal or guitar I need.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 06:02, Dan Dare said:

The truth in a nutshell. You get what you pay for, as always. Given that so many use plastic box FoH speakers (which aren't exactly the last word), they really cheap out when it comes to monitors.

Many of the well respected FOH sepakers are plastic boxes.

25 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Many of the well respected FOH sepakers are plastic boxes.

It depends whether you are looking from a professional point of view as opposed to a prosumer point of view. You won't find many plastic boxes deployed in a true professional environment.

Having said that, as you say, there are some very capable plastic boxes that punch above their weight and sound better than some of the wooden box counterparts. Of course, one of the big attractions of plastic boxes, is that they tend to be a hell of a lot lighter... which is a big consideration when you have to lug the things yourself.