Why become a member? ×

Buying cheap old amp Vs cheap new

NasalFloss

Hi guys, new poster here. I have the option of buying this https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/line-6-lowdown-300-watt-bass-combo-/1366264610 which is 8years old, or 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ashdown-mag-c115-300-evo-iii-bass-combo-300w-1-x-15

which is over twice the price, but is brand new and covered by a 3 year warranty. I can stretch to the Ashdown no problem. Is this a case of 'buy cheap, buy twice'? Thanks in advance for your input. I look forward to posting more and getting to know the community a bit better :)

EDIT: I know there's a wide variety of amps available on eBay, but most of these are out of the question as they are collection only and I don't drive!

Edited by NasalFloss

I’m an Ashdown uber-fan so will always recommend their gear, it sounds great,  it’s very hard wearing, they’re based in the UK and their customer service is very good, plus most of their gear can be fixed at Ashdown HQ. That said the Line 6 Amps get very favourable comments. What type of music do you play and what bass do you use, these are factors to take into account.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m an Ashdown uber-fan so will always recommend their gear, it sounds great,  it’s very hard wearing, they’re based in the UK and their customer service is very good, plus most of their gear can be fixed at Ashdown HQ. That said the Line 6 Amps get very favourable comments. What type of music do you play and what bass do you use, these are factors to take into account.

I'm not sure what my next music venture is going to be. I am a fan of funky stuff, think Jamiroquai and current use a Ray 34

I've had the line 6 in the past. Decent for the money (about £400), but flippin awkward and heavy to move about. Also found it hard to get a decent cutting sound in the mix for some reason. It just seemed to miss something. But at £120 it's a steal. You could buy it and resell it for £200+.

I'm an ashdown fan. But I never really got on with the mag stuff, yet when I hear others play them they sound great. Much sharper than the line 6.

I think you'll be happy with either. More options on the line 6 if your playing at home too. (If I remember correctly - a tuner, presets, amp models, compression, chorus, drive, synth etc). Great value.

Theres also some real bargains in the selling section on here at the moment. Be sure to take a look there as well.

Edited by la bam

Having played regularly through that model of Line 6 bass combo, it is a very good sounding and loud amp. It is also heavy and awkward to carry.

Having owned cheaper Ashdown combos in the past, they sound pretty good. The MAG won't be as heavy as the Line 6 and should have a speaker out, which will allow you to add another speaker cab, at a later date, to increase the volume you can get out of it.

Either amp is good value.

Edited by gjones

Thanks everyone for your input! I decided to go for the Line 6 and I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. I figure if something goes wrong with it or I'm finding it too awkward I won't end up out of pocket too much, or can sell it on. However, disaster struck this evening and I somehow talked myself into purchasing a CV 60's Precision (b stock) with the money I would have 'saved'.

Most unnecessary purchase of the last few years which has left me more out of pocket than if I'd just went for the more expensive Ashdown 🙄🙄🙄😳😳😳

Edited by NasalFloss