Why become a member? ×

SOLD ELSEWHERE Lag Collection Jazz Bass 1989
£450
Chorley, Lancs. PR6

ead

Lag Collection Jazz Bass 1989

This bass is from a rare family. The Lag Collection basses were their flagship models back in the days when Lag was still a little French luthiers shop. These were high priced instruments with top specs.

Sadly LAG were bankrupted in the mid to late nineties after a production moved to Asia.  The new Lâg has nothing in common with the original Lag quality-wise.  The Lâg name is still being used now on guitars and basses using an "^" accent over the "a" in an attempt to from the original Lag brand lustre.

This bass is from an exquisite line of the original instruments from the late 80s to early 90s made with immense attention to detail.  The bass is beautifully crafted and equally rewarding in sound - the Bartolini jazz bass pickups are a prominent feature of Lag basses and sound great. All the hardware is rock solid, as seen in the pictures the Gotoh tuners are made in Japan.

There a few spider web dents on the back of the bass that I have tried to capture in the pictures, the bass has clearly been played not left in a case somewhere. Other than that it’s in extremely good condition. The bass is a nice manageable weight at 8lbs (3.6kgs) and comes with a good quality padded gig bag.

Everything is original to my knowledge apart from two things:  Firstly I have copper shelded the electronics cavity and secondly one of the circuit joints linking the bridge earth and circuit earth to the sleeve on the jack was quite ropey causing a little hum.  I tried resoldering but not much better so I took a couple of cms off the wires and used a small piece of chocolate block instead.  All good now.

If you have any questions at all, or require additional pictures of any details please ask away and I give as comprehensive an answer as I am able.

Spec.:

·         American Walnut body with matching headstock

·         Maple Neck

·         Rosewood fretboard (24 frets) with mother of pearl dot inlays

·         Bartolini single coils with classic volume/volume/tone electronics

·         Gotoh tuners + 3D adjustable bridge

I would prefer to arrange some kind of delivery/collection/meet up if at all possible.  I'm pretty flexible and willing to travel a bit if necessary.  Courier would be the last resort and will be at cost to you.

Here are some pics including a couple of catalog shots that I got from Lag when I was researching these basses:

503909907_LAG102.thumb.jpg.976484c7d74d023dac0f7f30385bc58e.jpg

catalogue_1990_07.thumb.jpg.b335bfd8326ede8c21cf5d058b6cee2e.jpg

catalogue_1990_08.thumb.jpg.7acfa5933ff1a095c4f3527bed78b8dc.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

wondered if a Lag would ever come up on here since selling my headless Lag

Great basses these and a very good price for a hand made bass by Lag

Thanks, they are really good.  Not looked at a Fender J since buying this and it will cause me zero stress if nobody buys it :)

Wow!
I remember seeing a Lag bass at the Frankfurt Fair in '84 or '85; it had a very special form at the lower horn, more like a leg rest and no horn. I've tried to find info in these basses ever since.

Unfortunately I don't need a four string, otherwise it had been very interesting. Do you perhaps know, or have some info, of the other Lag models, like the one I tried to describe?

3 hours ago, bassmayhem said:

Wow!
I remember seeing a Lag bass at the Frankfurt Fair in '84 or '85; it had a very special form at the lower horn, more like a leg rest and no horn. I've tried to find info in these basses ever since.

Unfortunately I don't need a four string, otherwise it had been very interesting. Do you perhaps know, or have some info, of the other Lag models, like the one I tried to describe?

Sorry I don't.  I found it quite time-consuming to get background information on this one!