Why become a member? ×

Moog Taurus bass pedals

BrunoBass

At band practise the other night I popped down the corridor during a break to where my keyboard playing mate was practising with his new band. They’re kind of prog-y, which is not my thing but I was interested to see what they were up to. 

The bass player was playing through an SVT, with a Wal Mk2 and a 4001 (both pretty battered, especially the Rick) and a Moog Taurus pedal set up. Wow... I’ve never heard anything like it, stomach shakingly, mountain movingly awesome. 

Very temporary GAS ensued, before conceding that I have no purpose whatsoever for such a contraption, but is anyone else using Taurus pedals? Live? 

Edited by BrunoBass

I’ve been tinkering with a Moog Minitaur & KMI 12 Step which is similar I believe .. love the deep synth sound I get but unfortunately my band has recently split so not gigged this setup. Worked pretty well at rehearsal but I need more time practicing playing bass whilst operating foot controls lol ... if I ever do another band / project I’d like to incorporate it :)

55153B5F-95FA-419A-8D68-E1B299114034.jpeg

Edited by sifi2112
  • Like 2

I'm currently building a set of bass pedals, actually.

Having squirmed at the price of well used Roland PK5 pedals, passed out at the price of used Taurus and not thinking my big feet will get on with the smaller 12 step, I'm building my own.

The source of the bits is rather predictable.

Bass pedals from an old organ, but just the chassis, switches and pedals.
It's remarkably compact.

It converts to midi out using an Arduino board and midi shield which is now built and programmed and working.

I've been concentrating on a case design that looks 100% production grade and not home made, I think I have that in hand.

All in, I think I'll have £100 in it, once it's finished.

it'll be driving a Waldorf Rocket.

If anyone's interested, I'm happy to share photos of what I've done.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Erm... why does the bass player need a Moog Taurus setup?

Just a thought...

One word.

Prog.

They fit especially well in certain types of prog. 
It's why I'm doing it too.

It also allows me to use some of the extended high noted on my six string whilst holding those sub bass noted down too, where it suits the song.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skybone said:

Erm... why does the bass player need a Moog Taurus setup?

Just a thought...

You must have heard Genesis and Yes, surely? 

A friend who builds his own keyboards is supposed to be looking at building a Taurus setup for me at some point in the future, if he ever gets chance.  He reckons about £100. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

You must have heard Genesis and Yes, surely? 

A friend who builds his own keyboards is supposed to be looking at building a Taurus setup for me at some point in the future, if he ever gets chance.  He reckons about £100. Fingers crossed!

I'm about £100 into this and it's nearly finished. Just some light tarting up and adding the stop ends to the feet and the wooden end cheeks.

uingBZQcsELquP0mErueqgnf_svWj6O1wX4OyVJMo6PKY3elRCcLt6yOosM0tRQwtj_GpmpQtHIRvoxejWd7UhC6FZMdORJpFYUtns1PuyMmKHV8Fl9rT3JX1NDe2mMTKFcgmgXxC2wwdlLDPz7gk3B7Qt7g2dmvf6wtgSwuZ6LZ9t6eubBp84Grt1mkV4vaJsJOMYCT3zytThhB8tbMU5wpbhcwcqq2KD94c5vihsvlmkjHv8pcDB4JByET0_10t1BHo4W0ds-HJJIFr5yxAfelvPYeeWIdYcKQZb8YMnKHmrSWptOv-mQ-knkWZ2Oq-gfNYOA4yBHHomEE6y9UuD6LIJDoip33xAoLF31rfVFeSpmj9qdL04man8ixKVGg060VivhkANVyjcHaCDmkM_ETOPVqkpNdwlqTOrYnWgloz6FYm06iCfHNfJI_vU8LMMoSJofIsDoGKhW0kg9Yrd9tEMoBapg5nl7S01WjAvY-H1vQ0Sjpq5aB-a8yrXW-PkRozZ78gZ13L43Ir_MECs5RcBXcEpHKJlZMG_Bh6mHbXzZHRVMQ3YMlafvIBDXULCmVlu0CZjHIXgLE3giQ3yKIddxnI1U06bckb5YdkRaSDDQHDFKBhbFLniJUC2JLX8NU2Pe8PjadumL42YedfFapavkUZ9jV-ftIeZR9iQo0TIt_QWkrTMY=w834-h625-no

• Like 6

I understand that they appear to be a pre-requisite of period 70's Prog rock, but my point is that he is a bass player, cracking rig and some very nice basses. If he isn't playing another instrument as well as the bass, what's the point of the bass pedals?

If he's doing some keyboards, or guitars or something, it makes sense, but if not???

39 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I understand that they appear to be a pre-requisite of period 70's Prog rock, but my point is that he is a bass player, cracking rig and some very nice basses. If he isn't playing another instrument as well as the bass, what's the point of the bass pedals?

If he's doing some keyboards, or guitars or something, it makes sense, but if not???

I have no idea. I’ll ask him next time I see him.

I remember seeing Haze in the 1980s (it was one of our Aberocsoc gigs and because I was helping run it I recorded it off the mixer 🙂 )

They made excellent use of a set of bass pedals and it was the first time I saw how it was done. While you can go really fancy I've always fancied a set just for pedal notes (sic) under the bass line. Awesome.

Haze still gig occasionally I really must get to see them, it's only been about 38 years 🙂

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

I remember seeing Haze in the 1980s (it was one of our Aberocsoc gigs and because I was helping run it I recorded it off the mixer 🙂 )

They made excellent use of a set of bass pedals and it was the first time I saw how it was done. While you can go really fancy I've always fancied a set just for pedal notes (sic) under the bass line. Awesome.

Haze still gig occasionally I really must get to see them, it's only been about 38 years 🙂

Did a gig with them a few years back down in Maltby when the CRS still put gigs on.
They're still plugging away.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2020 at 21:51, BrunoBass said:

Very temporary GAS ensued, before conceding that I have no purpose whatsoever for such a contraption, but is anyone else using Taurus pedals? Live?

Yep, used Moog Taurus I pedals for many years while in Genesis tributes. They generally went straight into the PA rather than any kind of amp. For practice at home I'd put them through a small mixer along with bass guitar channel then out to a combo at bedroom volumes. But yes equipped with a suitable sound system, in gigs they would make your purple loons flap and your fillings rattle at a range of several furlongs.

For a while I had both the T1 and the newer Taurus 3 pedals, which is clearly surplus to requirement. I had the T1 tarted up and sold to a lovely chap in a Swiss prog metal band, and it just about survived ParcelForce et al attempts to deliver by instalments. Given how much I usee them these days, the T3 might be available for purchase at some point soon as well, GAS fans.

• Like 1

I'm waiting one part on this bass pedal build.
(when you need a 5 pin din socket, order one of those.  Don't order an 8 pin din socket...)

In the meantime it's up and running and the synth I'd chosen arrived today, a Waldorf Rocket.

Oh my....

I thought I knew what low bass was all about...

This won't stop me from playing bass guitar, but for the music I play and in our lineup, it should allow me more flexibility.

It's my own fault for joining a prog band.

rxrnwR9p4vMV4sRrp8FHqdS0qCSwSKaEyYNfUV2eO_-mY_VPc65FATYfV41s9obQsgXL2s3oljUWKYEDs1ydOxLoOLBhAdlseMPvGOgjdVTmFDKy1oFLzyIzf8V3XeYNb-4JSii7YfLSSWVQh9-7EMnE1Reg-sLUlT--w_w1hLnDbj3hRvwFu3agLT6gkqXd9BADDoFBNofu5W7tPi9HD_2Ug2ZwfwlWfylh46ymJVQCK7__t4k-r47iJe8UPN8rFqoPgbgSfgC7vyTP5IbfC_6Stl7WrHrftBBR2YqFsmBgqtjUNdBiK9Knxy7OAxzT57lq6lQKSjDhMoLebCOQ0P_Elmso5g347dv2NnFSljpgnQ7ffDbrdH1VzRB8KZ4PA8kecEUD50eKAR7TSHw0lx0tn-6p4B-xMa_8B8FB9PTsIFTAJOfRNzaQoyIuDqhDyoj2NFrjnZAJpV0a0kkAXtQBEj5zbuOoeJOGwtVAewbV4OhYaPH-mGQyDa4Aed6NNbnq9NbGqzKpvlYi-DfrMdUvWjokYrtt6tYm347ZD7uJSQkTDdpni0PACFAs8pyNVY3Fm5oCspBj6YE-0AXKYLvQ8MBk88750jp7mBU9JVs3QZ2ZUIB4NbulNTsdfg29pestkkgZ1tCsb_8FUDbz4kb2IveTYlwZ1pNhMnLlEhkC52TZR24XhnI=w834-h625-no

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

I'm waiting one part on this bass pedal build.
(when you need a 5 pin din socket, order one of those.  Don't order an 8 pin din socket...)

In the meantime it's up and running and the synth I'd chosen arrived today, a Waldorf Rocket.

Oh my....

I thought I knew what low bass was all about...

This won't stop me from playing bass guitar, but for the music I play and in our lineup, it should allow me more flexibility.

It's my own fault for joining a prog band.

rxrnwR9p4vMV4sRrp8FHqdS0qCSwSKaEyYNfUV2eO_-mY_VPc65FATYfV41s9obQsgXL2s3oljUWKYEDs1ydOxLoOLBhAdlseMPvGOgjdVTmFDKy1oFLzyIzf8V3XeYNb-4JSii7YfLSSWVQh9-7EMnE1Reg-sLUlT--w_w1hLnDbj3hRvwFu3agLT6gkqXd9BADDoFBNofu5W7tPi9HD_2Ug2ZwfwlWfylh46ymJVQCK7__t4k-r47iJe8UPN8rFqoPgbgSfgC7vyTP5IbfC_6Stl7WrHrftBBR2YqFsmBgqtjUNdBiK9Knxy7OAxzT57lq6lQKSjDhMoLebCOQ0P_Elmso5g347dv2NnFSljpgnQ7ffDbrdH1VzRB8KZ4PA8kecEUD50eKAR7TSHw0lx0tn-6p4B-xMa_8B8FB9PTsIFTAJOfRNzaQoyIuDqhDyoj2NFrjnZAJpV0a0kkAXtQBEj5zbuOoeJOGwtVAewbV4OhYaPH-mGQyDa4Aed6NNbnq9NbGqzKpvlYi-DfrMdUvWjokYrtt6tYm347ZD7uJSQkTDdpni0PACFAs8pyNVY3Fm5oCspBj6YE-0AXKYLvQ8MBk88750jp7mBU9JVs3QZ2ZUIB4NbulNTsdfg29pestkkgZ1tCsb_8FUDbz4kb2IveTYlwZ1pNhMnLlEhkC52TZR24XhnI=w834-h625-no

Just read a review of the Rocket and it looks pretty cool - exactly what's required for simple synth bass. Well done. 

On 01/03/2020 at 23:36, Woodinblack said:

I use the 12 step but i just do backing chords rather than low notes.

Yes, same here. People see midi pedals and just go - Oh, you're prog. The versatility of the 12 step in particular means that if you are in a band without a keys player and have a decent palette of patches to draw on then with a bit of practice you can add a little extra to many songs that have nothing overtly proggy about them.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 16:50, 4000 said:

Sounds like a bargain!