Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001/3 - generic hard case?

Paul S

Wondering which hard cases out there will fit a 4001/3 shaped Rick?  My faker came with a modified Epiphone Thunderbird case which does the job but is untidy inside and a bit cumbersome.

If I keep said faker, and I believe I will, I may well treat it to something better.  I don't want to pay ransom money for the proper Rick case, though.  I've seen a pic of one nestled in the larger 'teardrop' Hiscox case, but does it fit inside the regular one?  Or how about those generic rectangular, non-fitted jobs such as the Thomann/Gear4music etc?

I know I could measure it myself but looking for real life experiences :) 

Muchas gracias :) 

Which Faker have you got?

I have a couple of Rockinbetter's, and they fit very nicely into the budget Thomann case.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ebass_case.htm

The only thing that I find that's "wrong" with it, is that the neck sits too low in the notch, and tends to move about when you pick the case up by the handle. Fold up an old t-shirt, or get a cheap bar towel to support the neck, and it sorted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that.  It is a late 70s MIJ one without a name but pretty much exactly like a real one.

I quite like the generic Thomann ABS one - they come out slightly lighter in weight, which can only help. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ebasscase.htm

According to the dimensions on the listing it should fit - if the neck is a bit wobbly I can live with that.:)

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Thanks for that.  It is a late 70s MIJ one without a name but pretty much exactly like a real one.

I quite like the generic Thomann ABS one - they come out slightly lighter in weight, which can only help. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ebasscase.htm

According to the dimensions on the listing it should fit - if the neck is a bit wobbly I can live with that.:)

I wouldn't use the word "exactly", but it does look a nice one...

On 01/03/2020 at 11:27, prowla said:

(They're probably better than the real RIC ones...)

Apparently, real Ric ones have a tendency to crack or fail around the feet of the case. I guess it might be common with similar ABS cases although I personally haven't seen it. 

7 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Apparently, real Ric ones have a tendency to crack or fail around the feet of the case. I guess it might be common with similar ABS cases although I personally haven't seen it. 

The Ric ones are bought in anyway; I've seen other brands using them.

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, Skybone said:

The standard non ABS Thomann case is a good fit too, and usually a few quid cheaper than the ABS one too.

That Gator "soft" case looks pretty good too.

Thanks for your input, Skybone.  I ordered the E bass case as in the photo.  I'm glad I did a search on here, I was about to ask the same question.

Cheers
Dave