Why become a member? ×

Vox nutube Beetle bass amp and cab?

uk_lefty

Our guitarist has the guitar version and has used it on few gigs and it's been quite good.  I wouldn't use the bass version for anything other than a practice amp though.

I just looked on the Vox site and while the guitar version has a 10" speaker, the bass version only has an 8".  Strange.

• Like 1

I have the little Vox VX50BA 50 watt nutube bass amp with 8" speaker and am pleased to report that it punches well above its 10 lb. weight!  So, when the new SuperBeetle (sic) was announced I was intrigued.  The bass SuperBeetle is basically a dressed up VX50BA, with separate head & cab, full 50 watts into 8" speaker, but no DI that the VX50BA has.  For bass, I prefer the VX50BA.

The guitar SuperBeetle, however, is "only" 25 watts into a 10" speaker, but with an external cab connection for an 8 ohm cab to get the full 50 watts!  Hello?  Bass amps benefit greatly from additional cabs, too!  I can't believe the second-class treatment Vox is giving this otherwise attractive looking bass amp!

BTW, I do like the nutube sound, even without much of the built-in Overdrive or Distortion!  It gets good, solid smooth bass tones at high volume, after the initially boxy-sounding speaker has been gently "broken in".

Just my tuppence.

Edited by G-Dog
Grammar & extra thought
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...