Why become a member? ×

MusicMan SUB pick up question

lowlandtrees

Sorry if this this is double post. I thought there was an existing thread(can’t find it). I have an MM SUB...bought from a BCer. 
I think that the poles on the pup have shifted. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust them. I really like the instrument but there appears to be an unevenness (is that a word) about the tone quality and volume across the fretboard. The E is slightly higher in volume and I am aware that the G is a problem on many of these instruments.  Using Elixir strings. 

I’ll go get ma sledge hammer.....I just measured the gap and it is around 5mm to the casing which is about right (4.8mm). The poles seem very uneven though. I have heard that the electronics on these US SUBs are very similar to the more expensive models. I love the sound of the guitar although the neck could be better.

The G and E poles should be flush and D and A poles should be slightly raised. Pic of my USA SUB below. These are great basses. The pickup and 2-band EQ on the SUB is the same as a USA Stingray.

672601439_MMSUBUSA.thumb.jpg.e90641db6f19733b1b3e82b744f2e4d1.jpg

Edited by ikay

23 hours ago, ikay said:

The G and E poles should be flush and D and A poles should be slightly raised. Pic of my USA SUB below. These are great basses. The pickup and 2-band EQ on the SUB is the same as a USA Stingray.

672601439_MMSUBUSA.thumb.jpg.e90641db6f19733b1b3e82b744f2e4d1.jpg

Do you know if the poles are adjustable.  One of the poles on my A string has dropped.below the pup cover

They're not intended to be adjustable but it may be possible. Depends on the construction of the pickup. If the coils are wound directly round the magnets then it's risky, but if the magnet is in a plastic sleeve then it's doable. The fact that your A pole has already dropped but the pickup is still working suggests that it will tolerate some movement so I'd be tempted to remove the pickup and see if you can push it up with your fingers.