Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Ultralites too small for holes

Guest MoJo

I’ve recently bought a set of Hipshot HB6C Machine Heads to counteract the slight neck heaviness of my Bass Collection Bruce Thomas Profile Bass. The holes in the headstock are approx 0.5-1.0 mm bigger than the Hipshots. Before I make a request to return them, is there any fix that others in my situation have tried?

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

Do the ferrules of the tuners you’ve take off work with the Hipshots? I’ve done that in the past.

Otherwise I’ve also wrapped a couple of turns of tape around them but that is a proper bodge... 

Sadly they won't fit with the original ferrules. I had considered wrapping tape around them, but that is, as you say, a bit of a bodge

9 hours ago, 2x18 said:

I use aluminium ducting tape as used by heating and air con engineers cut to required width - makes a really solid fit!

Great idea, thanks

9 minutes ago, 3below said:

Same issue with my Gibson SG bass and Hipshots.  I made shims from strips of plastic cut from milk cartons.  Perfect fit :)

Another great idea

I’ve had sets on both a p bass and a Sterling. The hipshots have screw in ferrules. Once tightened, even if there was play because the post is smaller than the hole on the headstock, there is no movement at all. Are you experiencing the tuners shifting? In my case it was a couple of mm and no issues. Aren’t the stock tuners approx the same diameter, and they’re held in place with the thicker original ferrules? I take it they’re 1/2” and not 3/8”?

As above, they shouldn't shift when tightened but a variation on the aluminium tape/milk carton idea is to cut a sheet of A4 paper lengthwise slightly thinner than the nut that goes through the hole, tape one end to the nut and then wrap it around enough times until it takes up the gap and tape it at the end. Bob's your auntie's live in lover.

Update to this topic. Hipshot actually produce oversized bushes to fit an 18mm hole and what’s even better, Mark at Bass Direct has some