Jump to content
lowregisterhead

Dan Lakin's back... again.

Recommended Posts

Did anyone actually try/buy the last lot he did?

the Ashdown basses are made in conjunction with DL, think these are much smaller batches/to order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's got access to the Ashdown production line rather than being part of the partnership by name only he might get these done. The 1930 looks really cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These look to be hand built (to whatever degree), prices start around $3000 by the looks of it.

Si

Edited by Sibob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Did anyone actually try/buy the last lot he did?

the Ashdown basses are made in conjunction with DL, think these are much smaller batches/to order.

Yeah - they were good, just severely lacked in desirability and didn't really seem to have any USP over Lakland Skylines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reinvention.  It's funny, isn't it? 

Man has reasonably successful bass guitar business making copies of guitars made by another business, sells out, starts another business doing pretty much the same, then enters into business doing the same again, then resurfaces again doing pretty much what he started out doing in the first place.

It's almost like this from Red Dwarf:

Kryten : It's the old story: droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again, blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we heard that story?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Reinvention.  It's funny, isn't it? 

Man has reasonably successful bass guitar business making copies of guitars made by another business, sells out, starts another business doing pretty much the same, then enters into business doing the same again, then resurfaces again doing pretty much what he started out doing in the first place.

It's almost like this from Red Dwarf:

Kryten : It's the old story: droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again, blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we heard that story?

Yeah, but what about the GELF I ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karlfer said:

Yeah, but what about the GELF I ask?

YOU CAN'T REFER TO MY GRANDMA LIKE THAT!!! 😲

Oh wait I might have got the wrong end of the stick...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For $3000 I'd rather be buying a bass from the guy that made it, rather than from a business man sitting in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulbuzz said:

YOU CAN'T REFER TO MY GRANDMA LIKE THAT!!! 😲

Oh wait I might have got the wrong end of the stick...

so did she :hi:

 

fnarr fnarr

Edited by Delberthot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, White Cloud said:

I don't want to be 'that guy' but do we really need yet more Fender copies? (As good as DL's will undoubtedly be).

My very first thought but I didn't want to be the first to say it! The 1930s is the only one that's remotely got something different, and even then the blurb ( "until now the market has not offered a true high end example of a 30-inch design") is a bit disingenuous. Has he not heard of Serek basses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got several early Laklands, but they're certainly not Fender copies, other than the fact that every electric bass can trace its origins back to a Fender in some way. Neck profiles, string spacing, pickup and preamp configs, and scale lengths set them well apart from most Fenders, IMHO.

I wasn't so taken with the first D Lakin basses, apart from the Shark, but the whole line disappeared so fast I never got a chance to try one out. The new range strikes me as being a bit of a backward step, and I think I know why - us bass players can be largely a pretty traditional bunch, and if he wants to sell a few units, Dan won't want to stray too far from the beaten track. Bit of a shame if you ask me, he's had some interesting ideas in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

 . . . . . . . . .  he's had some interesting ideas in the past.

Since leaving Lakland, I haven't seen many innovative ideas from any of Dan Lakin's business enterprises.

Those original basses were, and still are, exceptional. I wonder how much of the initial innovation came from Hugh McFarland! After Dan Lakin and his Dad dumped Hugh McFarland out of the company there has been very little ground breaking stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Since leaving Lakland, I haven't seen many innovative ideas from any of Dan Lakin's business enterprises.

Those original basses were, and still are, exceptional. I wonder how much of the initial innovation came from Hugh McFarland! After Dan Lakin and his Dad dumped Hugh McFarland out of the company there has been very little ground breaking stuff.

At least Hugh went on to bigger things. Gotta love Family Guy....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ikay said:

My very first thought but I didn't want to be the first to say it! The 1930s is the only one that's remotely got something different, and even then the blurb ( "until now the market has not offered a true high end example of a 30-inch design") is a bit disingenuous. Has he not heard of Serek basses?

The 1930 is crazily expensive for what it is. The Serek basses are really nice, for less money, and closer to home Wilcock is making a great looking BiSonic model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guessed that the 5734 and the 6034 were based on a '57 P and a '60 J, both with 34" scale. So then I guessed that the 5730 and the 6030 were based on ... erm ... a shortscale 30" '57 P and '60 J that never existed.

Then I saw the 1930.

Oops.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

So I guessed that the 5734 and the 6034 were based on a '57 P and a '60 J, both with 34" scale. So then I guessed that the 5730 and the 6030 were based on ... erm ... a shortscale 30" '57 P and '60 J that never existed.

Then I saw the 1930.

Oops.

 

Designed in 2019?

is that what the 19 signifies?

Its nice enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Designed in 2019?

is that what the 19 signifies?

Its nice enough.

The 19 infers that it's the 19th time Danny-boy has reinvented a Fender design, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan and user of Laklands but the bridge on the new models is one of my least favourites.  The 1930 looks ok and I'm sure it will play very well but as others have indicated, the quality claim is a concern - Spector, Alembic and many others might have an argument

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a d lakin Joe Osborn in lake placid blue.... number 16, as to which batch, I have no idea!!....hellova bass though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These basses really need something to make them a little more distinctive. Maybe a humungous 2+2 headstock shaped like a partially eaten shovel?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...