Why become a member? ×

Dan Lakin's back... again.

lowregisterhead

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Did anyone actually try/buy the last lot he did?

the Ashdown basses are made in conjunction with DL, think these are much smaller batches/to order.

Yeah - they were good, just severely lacked in desirability and didn't really seem to have any USP over Lakland Skylines.

Reinvention.  It's funny, isn't it? 

Man has reasonably successful bass guitar business making copies of guitars made by another business, sells out, starts another business doing pretty much the same, then enters into business doing the same again, then resurfaces again doing pretty much what he started out doing in the first place.

It's almost like this from Red Dwarf:

Kryten : It's the old story: droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again, blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we heard that story?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Reinvention.  It's funny, isn't it? 

Man has reasonably successful bass guitar business making copies of guitars made by another business, sells out, starts another business doing pretty much the same, then enters into business doing the same again, then resurfaces again doing pretty much what he started out doing in the first place.

It's almost like this from Red Dwarf:

Kryten : It's the old story: droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again, blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we heard that story?

Yeah, but what about the GELF I ask?

4 hours ago, White Cloud said:

I don't want to be 'that guy' but do we really need yet more Fender copies? (As good as DL's will undoubtedly be).

My very first thought but I didn't want to be the first to say it! The 1930s is the only one that's remotely got something different, and even then the blurb ( "until now the market has not offered a true high end example of a 30-inch design") is a bit disingenuous. Has he not heard of Serek basses?

I've got several early Laklands, but they're certainly not Fender copies, other than the fact that every electric bass can trace its origins back to a Fender in some way. Neck profiles, string spacing, pickup and preamp configs, and scale lengths set them well apart from most Fenders, IMHO.

I wasn't so taken with the first D Lakin basses, apart from the Shark, but the whole line disappeared so fast I never got a chance to try one out. The new range strikes me as being a bit of a backward step, and I think I know why - us bass players can be largely a pretty traditional bunch, and if he wants to sell a few units, Dan won't want to stray too far from the beaten track. Bit of a shame if you ask me, he's had some interesting ideas in the past.

14 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

. . . . . . . . .  he's had some interesting ideas in the past.

Since leaving Lakland, I haven't seen many innovative ideas from any of Dan Lakin's business enterprises.

Those original basses were, and still are, exceptional. I wonder how much of the initial innovation came from Hugh McFarland! After Dan Lakin and his Dad dumped Hugh McFarland out of the company there has been very little ground breaking stuff.

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Since leaving Lakland, I haven't seen many innovative ideas from any of Dan Lakin's business enterprises.

Those original basses were, and still are, exceptional. I wonder how much of the initial innovation came from Hugh McFarland! After Dan Lakin and his Dad dumped Hugh McFarland out of the company there has been very little ground breaking stuff.

At least Hugh went on to bigger things. Gotta love Family Guy....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ikay said:

My very first thought but I didn't want to be the first to say it! The 1930s is the only one that's remotely got something different, and even then the blurb ( "until now the market has not offered a true high end example of a 30-inch design") is a bit disingenuous. Has he not heard of Serek basses?

The 1930 is crazily expensive for what it is. The Serek basses are really nice, for less money, and closer to home Wilcock is making a great looking BiSonic model. 

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

So I guessed that the 5734 and the 6034 were based on a '57 P and a '60 J, both with 34" scale. So then I guessed that the 5730 and the 6030 were based on ... erm ... a shortscale 30" '57 P and '60 J that never existed.

Then I saw the 1930.

Oops.

Designed in 2019?

is that what the 19 signifies?

Its nice enough.

I'm a big fan and user of Laklands but the bridge on the new models is one of my least favourites.  The 1930 looks ok and I'm sure it will play very well but as others have indicated, the quality claim is a concern - Spector, Alembic and many others might have an argument