Why become a member? ×

Band joining. Maybe....

solo4652

Following on from my "....shenanigans..." thread, here's today's offering. I've changed the sender's name, and omitted the band name and genre. Otherwise, these are cut-and-paste:

"Hi

Seen your ad on bandmix . We’re looking for a bass player for our [genre] band. Committed guys with vast experience, sax, keyboards, drums , rhythm guitar. Northwest base. If interested let me know.

Regards, Pete,  [band name]"

"Hi Pete,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I’m struggling to find anything on Bandmix, YouTube, for [band name] , only for a band called [something very similar] based on the south coast.

Do you have any YouTube/website/Soundcloud/Facebook/Bandmix links I could have a look at please?

Thanks,

Steve"

"Hi Steve 

Nothing on line at moment. Our base player left for personal reasons and guitarist left as too busy with other interests, sh  as me really as they were both really good.

Regards pete"

Some people just aren't very good at expressing themselves through the written word. Every new venture carries some element of uncertainty and risk.

If you're looking for a band what is there to lose by pursuing this until you find out, one way or the other, for sure? 

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

....but the choice of words they do use can say a lot about them.

He’s trying to oversell himself. If he does indeed have ‘vast’ experience, what is he doing on bandmix?

Yep, can't disagree with you. However, in the absence of anything else the OP has going - for me it'd be worth a punt. A phone conversation or face-to-face in a pub would soon get to the truth.

• Like 1

I now have a songlist from them. I've asked all the usual questions about where/when they rehearse, what sort of gigs/venues, how long have they been together, where are they based, etc. Awaiting a reply. Still no video or audio clips. Getting information from them is like getting blood from a stone, and that does put me off a bit. 

26 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Originals or covers?

Keep us posted.

Just got a useful email from them:

I've been trading emails with keys player. Covers band, playing ska, reggae, northern soul. Been together 3 months.. Sax, drums, keys vocalist, (new) guitarist, ages 40 - 60. Going to telephone keys player later today. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Just got a useful email from them:

I've been trading emails with keys player. Covers band, playing ska, reggae, northern soul. Been together 3 months.. Sax, drums, keys vocalist, (new) guitarist, ages 40 - 60. Going to telephone keys player later today. 

Together three months and two members have already left?!

15 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Means little. At the age of the band members quoted (40-60), people come and go all the time. If anything, it's a good sign - probably decent players who have other options. 

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Apparently, the bassist and the guitarist - good mates - set up the band 3 months ago. The songs were nearly ready to go out and gig but the bassist had personal health issues to deal with and the guitarist was in another band, and was  getting too busy. So, when bassist left he also decided to leave. The keys player seems to have been the one holding it all together. New guitarist recently recruited, just need a bassist now. Apparently. I'm speaking to keys player this evening.  

14 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Trigger's broom fo sho, but what have you got to lose, OP?

'If you don't go out there, nothing much happens to you'

Sure thing - I agree with you! I don't mind a bit of ska, reggae and northern soul. I depped for a Northern Soul band a few years ago and enjoyed it. Just tried to ring keys player, but his number was "not recognised" 🙄

Edited by solo4652
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, solo4652 said:

Covers band, playing ska, reggae, northern soul. Been together 3 months.. Sax, drums, keys vocalist, (new) guitarist, ages 40 - 60. Going to telephone keys player later today. 

Damn - if you don't want the gig I'd love it!! That's bass Nirvana right there

When I read the OP the "vast experience" suggested to me that they'd all been there and done it before, not necessarily that the band was an established one.  If they are amateurs or weekend warriors  why wouldn't they be on bandmix?

I've said "Thanks, but no thanks" to this project for a number of reasons, one of which is travel distances involved. Rehearsals look like they'll be in Bolton, and I live right round the other side of Manchester. If anybody is interested, PM me for keys player's contact details.