Why become a member? ×

Radar Love

Mykesbass

11 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Yes, Rinus Gerritsen is renowned for his danelectro longhorns, even ownes a double barrel one!

original_squared_rinus-gerritsen.jpg

I'll wager that is one of the few double necks I could wear without knackering my back.  Odd combo, though - long scale and short scale?

6 hours ago, martthebass said:

Is it right that this was originally played on a Dano Longhorn?

Most probably, as at that time he'd owned his Dano for at least a few years.
BTW, I think maybe the double barrel one that @Bolo posted may have been the one he built together with his father, and which included parts from another brand. An article in Dutch mag Music Maker at the time told the whole story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassTractor said:

Most probably, as at that time he'd owned his Dano for at least a few years.
BTW, I think maybe the double barrel one that @Bolo posted may have been the one he built together with his father, and which included parts from another brand. An article in Dutch mag Music Maker at the time told the whole story.

Looks like a Fender neck on there too 😕, and some very un-Dano bridges (and he's taken a fair old chunk of wood off the lower horn !)

• Like 1

An early band I was in did it but we fused it to their lesser known (but still good) later hit Twilight Zone. Basically we'd do RL until it got to the dreary middle bit, go into TZ for a couple of verse/choruses then back to RL for final verse/chorus. Ended up at about seven and a half minutes long but it gave the punters a toilet break before we did something they'd know again. We even recorded it on a promo CD.

13 hours ago, KevB said:

Basically we'd do RL until it got to the dreary middle bit, go into TZ for a couple of verse/choruses then back to RL for final verse/chorus. 

The "dreary middle bit"? Pot, meet kettle.

Overall, it sounds like an early attempt at being Euro ZZ Top. @Silvia Bluejay tells me that this was probably a bigger hit in Italy than Radar Love.

Our guy (Paul the Drums, as he's known at the SouthEast BassBash) was so keen to nail this that he booked a couple of sessions in a drum booth at Bell Drum Studios (Acton) and just worked on it until he had the whole thing down. 

It makes a real difference ... playing live, you sound so much more convincing if the drummer is playing it exactly right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It makes a real difference ... playing live, you sound so much more convincing if the drummer is playing it exactly right.

True in so many cases!

Edited by Mickeyboro
Cos I didn’t know what a trueism was

Yup , I have done this with two drummers , who who was just amazing but sadly was promoted up at Harrods and now has no time to do much else  .

But how  it thundered out  from behind me ... and it left me oddles of space to just have the bass ring out ,   our other drummer other took quite some time to learn it  and i do feel it dosent quite have the same Gravitas.

Edited by synthaside

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

The "dreary middle bit"? Pot, meet kettle.

Exactly my point, when TZ gets to the repetitive middle bit we switched back into the final vs/ch of RL. To do either song justice we couldnt get it under 7 mins though which was a bit of a stretch for the attention span of most pub crowds.

Used to play it a few years ago and it always went down brilliantly and we used to do the album version!

With regards to that twin neck bass, I found this.  Interesting.

Rinus plays a custom built double neck in the shape of a Danelectro longhorn (A bass which he was a well known fan of) But the halves are COMPLETELY different from each other.

The upper half of the bass has a Fender P-bass neck, Bill Lawrence pickups and that portion of the body is made from solid alder.

The lower half of the bass is hollow with a masonite plate fitted flush to the top of the body, the Dano neck is a 30 inch short scale and it has 24 frets, the lowerhalf also has a kahler whammy.

When in concert Rinus Plays almost the entire set on this double neck, interchanging necks when a different sound is needed, it has the "Boom" of a P-bass and the twang of a Dano.

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the song, but it did have the reputation of being the equivalent of Sex On Fire of back in the day. Literally every flippin' covers band was doing it.

Agree with you there, but a lot weren’t doing it justice, mainly as others have mentioned on here, the drummers letting it down, missing out the fills etc.

Edited by steantval

20 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the song, but it did have the reputation of being the equivalent of Sex On Fire of back in the day. Literally every flippin' covers band was doing it.

In all fairness, "the day" was nearly 50 years ago. :|

• Haha 2