Why become a member? ×

To Markbass or not to Markbass...?

gadget

So I have been playing through Markbass gear for the past 14 years or so, including 6 years under endorsement... I absolutely love Markbass gear, and generally only required my STD 102HF cab and LMIII head for any gig I faced. Always been happy with the tone and always found it easy to get that tone at a blink of a hat in any venue. However, I am now at a crossroads in life, where I am moving country. I have sold off my MB cabs, but still have my LMIII head. I am moving back to the UK where many many other brands are readily available....

When the MB K2 combo and Traveller 123 cab came out, I was immediately interested in them, as they offer a more compact solution, however, a full rig of both is just not affordable to me at this point in time... I also like to have the flexibility to add a second cab for some gigs and situations, so want to avoid a single 4 Ohm cab, even if initially I have to make do with a single cab... I've tried many brands over the years, but never found anything to out perform the Markbass stuff. Aguilars GS410 cab I did enjoy the tone of greatly, but at 50KG's, my back can't keep up with it! Otherwise nothing else from more mainstream brands has moved me... So do I...

a) Keep the MB LMIII head and try pick up a Traveller 123 cab, and keep the rig simple until such a time I can add a second cab....
b) Sell the LMIII head and attempt to fork out £1k+ for the K2 combo, not really knowing if it will meet my demands...
c) Keep the LMIII and grab a Vanderkley cab like the 210MNT or 212MNT (Always loved the look of these, and they get great write ups, however would pretty much mean a single cab solution for a good long time)
d) Keep the LMIII and just find a used pair of 121 cabs
e) Sell the LMIII and buy a 121H combo and additional cab
f) Throw all caution to the wind and find some PJB's?!

Stylistically, I mainly play lighter rock, acoustic rock and worship stuff, but have done anything from Coldplay to Metallica, and Blues and a spot of Jazz, so it does need to be versatile, or just have a tone that works for everything and anything.

Looking forward to some positive input... Especially if any of you have tried the Traveller 123 or K2 Combo? Cheers....

And just for clarity, I do hope to get to compare a number of these cabs together at some place or another, though it seems the Traveller 123 is now very recently discontinued (or so I am informed), so difficult to find. Can only find online in random corners of the earth! That could make comparisons very difficult. 

Just now, songofthewind said:

CMD 102p combo here. Very loud and punchy, lightweight, easy to dial on.

I keep thinking I should get an extension cab, so that I look and feel more manly, but this thing does everything I need.

Yer, that's kind of how I felt with the 102 HF... I'd often take the 151HR cab with me to larger gigs, but leave it disconnected, and actually just use the the 102HF on top of that (I am not a big fan of 15's, however the MB 15 is the best I've heard... Warm but tight for a 15)... I do however find the cab slightly cumbersome and want something more 'upright' if that makes sense? Hence the interest in the Traveller 123.

Yes, the width of the 210 style is a slight problem, so I get what you’re saying about a taller and narrower enclosure. That is why I am sometimes tempted in exactly the way that you are.

The tilt back feature of the combo is what keeps me hanging on! Very useful in so many stage situations.

• Like 1

I had the 102P and never thought I would change.

Bought a Toyota Avensis and...damn, the wedge shape would not fit in the boot, no matter what I did.

Switched to Barefaced, and ended up with a Markbass head. Did what was needed.

But yes, 102P is a good and cheap one-cab solution. If you don’t own an Avensis!

Sounds like you know and love the head you have, so I'd keep that if I were you and wait for a second hand cab to come up that suits your needs. 

I used to chop and change amps a lot until I settled on something easy to use that does everything I need plus more. There's "better" gear out there but the hassle of trading amps, having people who stink of BO thrash an amp in the living room of your flat (true story) then ask for a tenner off or whatever... Its just not worth it. Keep the gear you know and trust and spend your time and money on gambling and women. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 27/02/2020 at 09:37, songofthewind said:

CMD 102p combo here. Very loud and punchy, lightweight, easy to dial on.

I keep thinking I should get an extension cab, so that I look and feel more manly, but this thing does everything I need.

Same but have the CMD 121P. Why did I not buy this thing years back?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Over the past 12 years I've owned many Markbass cabs and still own several Markbass heads; I too love the punchy relatively neutral Markbass delivery. For me the Markbass sweet spot cab-wise is a pair of NY121P cabs with either 500 or 800 watt head. Super compact single 12 rig or surprisingly capable two 12 rig when more power needed. If your LM3 is one of the pre 2012 class AB versions I'd definitely keep using it until it packs up; I much prefer mine over the later class D version.

Edited by Sparky Mark

If you can find a TRV123 I highly recommend them for just about any style of music.  I use one with an LM800 for my blues band gigs and also smaller gigs with my hard rock band. Keeps up with any amount of volume the 2 guitarists throw at me.

edit. It's also brilliant with my upright.

Edited by jacko

Thanks Jacko... That's exactly the kind of thing I am needing... Balance wise, is the Trv123 still a warm and full sounding cab with clear (not brittle) smooth upper mids and tops? Which other MB cabs have you compared it to?

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

Regards
G!

On 01/03/2020 at 06:45, gadget said:

Which other MB cabs have you compared it to?

I have a TRV121 that had to have a new driver last year (took a while under warranty so  I picked up the 123) which has stood me in good stead for a year or more but it can't really handle everything the LM800 throws at it., Still sounds great at lower volumes though and if you're using an LM111 you won't be overpowering it. In a way it's better than the 123 cos you can turn the tweeter off.

I've also used 104 HF and 104HR cabs with my bigger rig. They were great for a function band - very clean and punchy but I preferred my Mesa Powerhouse cabs when I need a lot of heft so they went when I stopped doing functions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you're keeping the amp then all you need is a cab. Combo's are limiting if you want to upgrade either the amp or cab. If you like the sound so much, replace the STD 102HF cab with another. IMO it sounds better (bigger and fuller range) than the equivalent Traveller cab. 

I use Barefaced and would recommend them to anyone, but you've got to listen to a few different cabs before you chose.

On 17/05/2020 at 17:15, fretmeister said:

Markbass + Barefaced works for me. 

Me too, but Markbass on its own also very good. Went thusly: MB CMD121H +Ashdown MAG115Deep, CMD + homemade 1x12, LMIII + BF Super 15, CMD +Traveler115, CMD + Traveler 121H, now Elf + BF One10.

Lots of love for Markbass, lots of love for BF also!

Edited by Telebass
Speeling...

I used the Lm800 and two travellers very successfully for years and especially loved the VLE and VLF filters for getting ‘instant’ tone......until i tried Bergantino kit.

all i would say is try a pair of Hdn210 bergantino cabs. Same weight as travellers but boy oh boy, the difference is quite pronounced.

good luck with your choice....

I rate the MB cabs highly I had the 4-10 mated to my 2-10 and had the MB head to match but didn’t get on with the MB head but still rate it highly,I sold the 4-10 as didn’t need it,my main amp now is a Galien Kruger 800 fusion which weighs less than my sandwich box ,it’s as good as any amp ive ever had and I’ve still got my SMX Trace Elliot head and that takes some beating,I’m running the GK head with two Vanderklay 2-10 cabs, awesome sound even with just one Cab,I’m going to sell one as I’m going in ears And they are quite light also I’ve got a GK 500 Head As a spare so I’m selling that ,I’m having a clear out of gear soon but don’t expect to sell much of it due to wots happening atm,but I’d defo try the GK heads you will love it

Ioved the MB cabs I had, came down to a coin toss which I kept when desparate for cash, the Barefaced won the toss. 

I think there are two basic personality types; those who find what they like and stick with it, and those (like me) who enjoy trying different kit for the fun of it. 

Sounds to me you're in the first bracket. Not saying don't try new stuff, but you really know what you like don't you? 

6 hours ago, Harlequin74 said:

I used the Lm800 and two travellers very successfully for years and especially loved the VLE and VLF filters for getting ‘instant’ tone......until i tried Bergantino kit.

all i would say is try a pair of Hdn210 bergantino cabs. Same weight as travellers but boy oh boy, the difference is quite pronounced.

good luck with your choice....

I used to use Bergantino cabs but for whatever reason, they didn't do it for me. Too modern voiced?

9 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I used to use Bergantino cabs but for whatever reason, they didn't do it for me. Too modern voiced?

Perhaps it was the amp combo? Mine are much less hifi than the mb’s and headroom improved straightaway.

each to his /her own says i.