Why become a member? ×

Bands/Songs that should never be covered.

spectoremg

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, yes I assumed someone liked that stuff, or they wouldn't use it for selling life insurance or holidays.

There's a world of difference between Oysterband & June Tabor and some angst-ridden teenage singer-songswiper.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

There's a world of difference between Oysterband & June Tabor and some angst-ridden teenage singer-songswiper.

If you say so.  I guess like anything, if you are into that sort of stuff you might notice a difference.

And as I said, sorry if I have offended someones group (or idol) - but it literally builds up a rage in me

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No, they've just sat together in my mind for decades for some reason. Perhaps it's just the melancholy mood and droning style.

Ah, okay.

Speaking of Department S, there was a song out a few years ago (The Hives?) that I couldn’t hear without thinking of Is Vic There - it was the vocal that did it... 

On 26/02/2020 at 21:11, Old Man Riva said:

It should be pointed out that the topic would normally have been inspired by collective thoughts on Paul Young’s cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart...

I heard an inspired version of that very song by 'The Bikini Beach Band' who used to gig around South East London. I saw them at The Venue in New Cross in the 90's. Apparently the band were made up of London session guys, although I've never actually found who they were.

Their schtick was that all the songs were instrumental (there wasn't even a mic onstage) with the melodies played with heavy use of the whammy bar in a D1ck Dale surf guitar style, and the band all dressed in flamenco outfits with fezez(?). It was simultaneously cool, absurd, hilarious and musically excellent! They also did a cracking version of the Manics 'Design For Life', IIRC...

Edited by lowregisterhead