Why become a member? ×

Bands/Songs that should never be covered.

spectoremg

13 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

In my younger days this used to be a ‘three-pint problem’ - the point at which the discussion would descend into chaos and acrimony!

That said, general consensus was that Bob Marley was the only artist we could agree on whose songs should never be covered.

It should be pointed out that the topic would normally have been inspired by collective thoughts on Paul Young’s cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart...

I'd tend to agree, but this is pretty good!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, geoham said:

We covered two of Bob Marley songs the week before last, including Redemption Song. But we did have a Jamaican singer, and the second one (One Love) was an impromptu encore her family and most of the audience joined in 🙂

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with people doing their own versions of well known songs but I don't see the point of trying to do a carbon copy of the original.  Give the song your own twist, like Joe Cocker did with the Beatles song "With A Little Help From My Friends".

Having said that, it would be a very brave person who tried to match Karen Carpenter.

6 hours ago, geoham said:

I can see where you're coming from, but... I still can't quite get there! With that particular song I think the original is as near as damn it as close to any definitive version of a song you'll get (only in my opinion of course!). I'd also add a song like Bowie's Life on Mars to that list also - I just can't imagine anyone being able to offer a version that adds in any way to the original.

Funnily enough (and I don't know why it should be any different) if a band was down the pub doing a version of Waiting in Vain I'd probably dig it, if it was half decent, whereas Annie Lennox version made me want to reach for sharp objects! 

2 hours ago, LeftyP said:

I don't have a problem with people doing their own versions of well known songs but I don't see the point of trying to do a carbon copy of the original.  Give the song your own twist, like Joe Cocker did with the Beatles song "With A Little Help From My Friends".

Having said that, it would be a very brave person who tried to match Karen Carpenter.

Conversely, I don't get the point of changing songs for the sake of it unless it makes it better, and not just different.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Paul's a serial offender; Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House. 

I'd forgotten he did that. I like some of his other covers (Love of the Common People and I was In Chains I really like) but he's a bit hit and miss for me.

Anyway, it all pales into into insignificance when assessed against Simple Minds version of Prince's Sign o' the Times. What on earth were they thinking?!

18 hours ago, martin8708 said:

Bands - Queen , unless by some miracle you have found another Freddie .

Song - Hotel California .

We've done "You're My Best Friend" by Queen with my current band as we were asked to learn it for a gig and the only time I've sang live, it was Hotel California as, again, we were asked for it.

Anything is possible as long as you do a good job of it.

4 hours ago, LeftyP said:

Rumur came pretty close.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, martin8708 said:

Bands - Queen , unless by some miracle you have found another Freddie .

I dunno... there certainly isn't another Freddie anywhere, but a bloody good singer can do those songs justice. Here's something I did at the weekend with Joe McElderry, who can sing the hind legs off this one:

On 26/02/2020 at 21:44, Heathy said:

I remember years ago at some awards ceremony, Phil Alexander from Mojo magazine berating Busted for covering Teenage Kicks, as it was a cover that 'you just don't do'. What an @rse.

No one pop song is more worthy than another in my view. 

Hasn't everyone covered that song. Is there anyone who has been in more than one cover band who hasn't done teenage kicks?

13 hours ago, mikel said:

With due deference to John Peel I always thought Teenage Kicks was a rubbish song. So I would never cover it anyway.

In my book it is an average song of the period, neither great or bad, never was sure why it was so popular.

11 hours ago, Teebs said:

Anything by Oasis.

Ever.

This I agree with. There is a total ban on any oasis songs in my group. And do you know how much trouble that causes? The answer is, quite a lot. Still, it does mean that when drunk people want oasis at the end of the night the others can say 'we want to but he won't let us'. And I have had more than one drunk guy have a go at me about it.

4 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Good, isn't it?

That is the very epitome of my current rage against the music industry. Its music like that that makes me really angry and weep for music. People taking songs that were fine on their own and slowing them down and doing them in a soulful and meaningful way, and thus totally destroying the feeling in the song. Its normally bank or building society adverts to be fair, and there are a few who have actually managed to covey something, but that is a rarity.

Sorry if it is anyones group, but no, that is a 'leaving the venue' song.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is the very epitome of my current rage against the music industry. Its music like that that makes me really angry and weep for music. People taking songs that were fine on their own and slowing them down and doing them in a soulful and meaningful way, and thus totally destroying the feeling in the song. Its normally bank or building society adverts to be fair, and there are a few who have actually managed to covey something, but that is a rarity.

Sorry if it is anyones group, but no, that is a 'leaving the venue' song.

No, it's really good. And I love the original.

P.S. does anyone else detect a similarity between Love Will Tear Us Apart and Is Vic There by Department S?

Edited by Stub Mandrel