Why become a member? ×

1x10“ cabinet versus 1x12” cabinet

thebassist

Given that the Trickfish cabinets are pretty average at best for 1x12"s you might actually be able to find a top-flight 1x10" that is similar or even out-performs it. I'm thinking of something like the Fearless 110 similar. However, they're likely to be just as big and heavy as an MI-grade 1x12", so there's probably no point.

On 26/02/2020 at 20:34, owen said:

Anecdotaly I can report that no 10" cab I have tried can actually cut it when a drummer is involved. Some 12" cabs can but that also depends on the amp's ability to deliver proper power. It is also VERY rare (again, in my experience) for a 10" cab to be able to reach all the way down there on a 5 string even when not fighting with a drummer. YMMV

Got to say that I did have one that held its own with a very loud drummer - it was the short-lived venture into class D by Yamaha, the BB500. I used it with the matching 110 cab and it was crazy. At the jam night I used to help run with said drummer the pub had a Hartke rig with 410 and 115. There were notes left on this amp by the landlady forbidding the 115 to be plugged in and the amp not to be turned up over a certain volume. One night she came storming down with a face like thunder, walked straight up to the pub amp to turn it down and was totally flummoxed as she hadn't even seen my little rig. Fortunately she found it funny, and couldn't believe her eyes or ears, and ended up staying downstairs and enjoyed the rest of the jam 😃

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

OEMs usually use spades because they're cheaper. In-line drivers tend to use spring loaded binding posts because they're preferred by the DIY crowd. There's no particular advantage to one or the other.

My Basslite 2010 has spade connectors, did I get stung?  I only paid £24 delivered for it...

To the OP:

I have that driver in a single compact 1x10 (an EA CXL110) and while it does sound great I wouldn't want to gig with a pair of them, the Deltalite I had in there before was a different story and I've rehearsed with a drummer using just that single cab and a Superfly head. If your shoulders are knackered then I'd personally just get rid of your current cabs and buy Barefaced or something similarly light.

6 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Not from personal experience. The only cabs I use are the ones I built. But Barefaced does seem to use better quality drivers than most.

I understand Bill - thanks a lot for your input here. I am starting to lean toward two Barefaced ONE 10s or even two Super Midget 12s now given the weight.

Is this any good in your opinion? https://www.eich-amps.com/110xs

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

There is absolutely no data that's of any value in their ad copy. I'd no more take a chance on that than would I on a car that that lists horsepower as 'a lot', 0-100 KPH as 'really fast', and fuel economy as 'quite good'.

2 x Barefaced Super Midget 12"s it is then Bill. Thanks a lot for your assistance on this.

4 hours ago, thebassist said:

2 x Barefaced Super Midget 12"s it is then Bill. Thanks a lot for your assistance on this.

I've had 3 midgets (original) a compact and 2 FR800s. I can guarantee you that rig will see of most of the competition.

9 hours ago, thebassist said:

I understand Bill - thanks a lot for your input here. I am starting to lean toward two Barefaced ONE 10s or even two Super Midget 12s now given the weight.

Is this any good in your opinion? https://www.eich-amps.com/110xs

The BF one10 is what I'm using with my big band.

I have a pair but indoors with an audience of 180-200 I don't need it. If we are playing outside then I take the other one as well.

9 hours ago, thebassist said:

I'd buy just one first - you might find it's enough.  I often gig a single Super Midget and it can get really loud but the tone stays good at all volumes.

Frank.

11 hours ago, machinehead said:

I'd buy just one first - you might find it's enough.  I often gig a single Super Midget and it can get really loud but the tone stays good at all volumes.

Frank.

I'd love to buy one purely to the cost but I play in stereo so I need two. I'm excited about getting them now.

• Like 2