Why become a member? ×

Bass Station 2 issue

SICbass

I've been goofing around with my bass station 2 - loads of fun.

However, sometimes (at the moment, all the time with all patches) I can very clearly hear what sounds like a piano sound layered beneath the sound I'm playing. I can only hear it through the speakers on my mini mixer, not through the built-in headphone output on the keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I losing it?

Cheers in advance.

BS2 is an analogue mono-synth, and as such is not capable of piano type sounds...just to clarify that. As such, whatever you’re hearing is probably an erroneous tone from somewhere.

Presumably you’re coming out of the Line out to go to your mini mixer? If so, if you plug in your headphones to the line out, do you not hear the tone similar to the headphone out?

If not, it may be a cable or mini-mixer issue rather than the BSII.

Si //Novation 

Hi Guys,

I have Logic, but it isn’t opened up.

Si, your point about it not being capable of making a piano sound, that‘s exactly what I was thinking, which makes it all the more perplexing. It must be erroneous sound from somewhere but being as Logic wasn‘t open... hmmm

Not a problem as such, just very odd. 

Where is the mini-mixer getting it’s signal from? The computer? Or the bass station? 
If from the computer, then because the BS2 can act as a midi controller, it could be triggering something, but that sound would need to be open in a DAW, although some sounds (like XLN) do have their own stand-alone GUI’s that can open separate to a DAW.

Cheers

Si // Novation

Edited by Sibob

I've figured it out. I had the BS 2 linked per USB with the computer so that I could review patches.

I also had MuseScore open to read the parts. I neglected the fact that as well as showing the dots, MuseScore has internal voices for checking arrangements (the default being a piano) and the BS2 was triggering this.

Doh! 🤦‍♂️  Smart boy wanted.

Thanks for your help,

P.

Edited by SICbass

4 hours ago, SICbass said:

@Sibob  You write Novation after your name. Do you work for them?

If so, I have a follow-up question. Bear in mind, I ain't too bright, but...

How do I match the volume levels of different patches?

I do indeed work for Novation (and as a result, Focusrite, ADAM Audio etc).

The patches should all be a similar volume, although of course if a patch is more focussed on low end, it's perceived volume through say some cheap speakers or headphones might be less than a patch that is more lead-line focussed (higher pitched content etc).

From memory the main volume control is in the analogue path and so can't be saved per patch, as such I think probably the best way would be to use the mixer section and set the oscillator level (balancing as needed across 1, 2 and sub) per patch, and then save that patch. There's not a way of 'matching across all patches', but if you're just talking about going between a few patches for your live set or whatever, this is quickly achievable.

For anything more depth, give Technical Support a quick call (PM me for the number if you need it), and they can go into a bit more detail :) 

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob