Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye bass lesson

interpol52

Hello!

I've been playing bass since 1988 and never had a lesson. My recent journey into learning jazz standards made me look to getting some professional tutoring on walking basslines and music theory. 

I ended up opting for Skype lessons with Carol Kaye. 

The first one was last night. It is probably the best thing I have done in years! Carol was friendly and chatty and genuinely interested in me and my playing and giving me targets and tips to improve aspects of my playing before our next lesson. After 30 years I have picked up a few bad habits and she picked up on these straight away! As mentioned on other threads and forums, Carol considers learning chord tones to be fundamental. Yes we looked at scales and how these fit into the overall picture but it was mainly about nailing down the different types of chords and knowing how they are constructed and how they link together.

Not only did we cover this but also a bit on fretting hand position and how to be economical with movement and avoid injuries like CTS.

I loved every minute of it, even though I was nervous as hell before it started. 

If I can still play and teach like her when I'm 84 then I will be very happy! 

• Like 11

Carol Kaye is amazing, so many great performances on totally classic tracks.

When I first started playing (a loooong time ago), someone gave me her books, which were a bit beyond me and I don't think I appreciated just how good they were. I've recently revisited the books and there's tons of great stuff in there. I've been working through the duets, so much easier to do now I can record myself on a computer, back in the day I just had a crappy tape recorder:

On 26/02/2020 at 08:16, interpol52 said:

Hello!

I've been playing bass since 1988 and never had a lesson. My recent journey into learning jazz standards made me look to getting some professional tutoring on walking basslines and music theory. 

I ended up opting for Skype lessons with Carol Kaye. 

The first one was last night. It is probably the best thing I have done in years! Carol was friendly and chatty and genuinely interested in me and my playing and giving me targets and tips to improve aspects of my playing before our next lesson. After 30 years I have picked up a few bad habits and she picked up on these straight away! As mentioned on other threads and forums, Carol considers learning chord tones to be fundamental. Yes we looked at scales and how these fit into the overall picture but it was mainly about nailing down the different types of chords and knowing how they are constructed and how they link together.

Not only did we cover this but also a bit on fretting hand position and how to be economical with movement and avoid injuries like CTS.

I loved every minute of it, even though I was nervous as hell before it started. 

If I can still play and teach like her when I'm 84 then I will be very happy! 

Amazing! Isn’t the internet an incredible thing sometimes. Lessons from a legend!