Why become a member? ×

Limelight Bridge Rusted To Bits.

Hobbayne

My 63 Sonic Blue P bass bridge has completely rusted to bits. The level of relicing was so over the top that I couldnt raise the saddles or intonate it because it had completely seized.

I have had to have the whole lot replaced and I havent had it a year yet. 🤬

Any other Limelighters had this problem?

IMG_1447.JPG

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

What level of relic did you get?

Genuine relic, it seems. I’ve had to swap out knackered old bridges on loads of Fenders. It does seem a little over the top, however and a bit of lube in the saddle holes should stop it happening!

Personally, I’d email the builder and explain the situation. This shouldn’t happen within a year...

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Genuine relic, it seems. I’ve had to swap out knackered old bridges on loads of Fenders. It does seem a little over the top, however and a bit of lube in the saddle holes should stop it happening!

Personally, I’d email the builder and explain the situation. This shouldn’t happen within a year...

Are you the OP?

*engage pedant mode*

Just while it's been mentioned: WD40 is not as good for freeing and lubricating things as lots of people seem to think. For loosening things, penetrating oil is much better, for lubricating pretty much any lubricating oil is better, like some basic 3 in 1.

https://lifehacker.com/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40-5891936

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6064/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants/

*disengage pedant mode*

• Like 5

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

Maybe the wrong turn of phrase to use, as I don't have a strong opinion either way on the matter. My point was more that if parts are so reliced they need replacement, it really defeats the point.

No, it's just a fairly minor irritant that the builder needs to address on what is otherwise a wonderful sounding, looking, value-for-money instrument.

• Like 3

I’m a big limelight fan and that’s a great bass , and although the bridge has been reliced I would still want it to function, the threaded saddles look ok to me, and the screws are easily replaceable if you can get them out, if not I’m sure the guys at limelight will send you a replacement 🙂

It’s a weird thing this relic’ing. I’ve seen quite a few fifty year old plus instruments, they could pretty much have passed for being from this century. I do know that’s not always the case, but I think the abandoned in the garden shed for forty years look that some relics have is a little over the top.

• Like 5

A rusty bridge on a 'new' Fender Pino stopped me from buying it. Trying it in the shop I asked if the saddles could be raised a bit, the tech tried and said no sorry they're fixed, to which I said - you mean rusted in - he agreed. All the metalwork was too rusted for my liking, unplayable with a very low action so I never got a Pino!