Why become a member? ×

Rockfield Studios- the movie!

scalpy

55 minutes ago, steantval said:

It was ok until the Gallagher brother was featured (far too much of him IMO), that guy is so obnoxious, he cannot even string one sentence together without using the f word.

Absolute talentless tool. Him and his enabling sidekick.

I came in about halfway (I’ll try and catch the first part on catchup if it’s there) and I was underwhelmed. Having read some hilarious anecdotes about Rockfield in the Deke Leonard books, I was hoping for better.

• Like 1

I’m guessing few people have heard of Deke Leonard.
And although I’d much prefer to have heard his interesting and amusing anecdotes, sadly the general public will presumably be more interested in Noel Gallagher’s cliches, told in his oh so interesting and intelligent manner. 

The nucklehead (or whatever) wot was sat with him, reminded me of the classic moron who appears from behind the bully waving a fist whilst saying “yeah”. 

Anyways, I enjoyed it for what it was. And brought back some happy memories. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I’m guessing few people have heard of Deke Leonard. 

True, but surely the biggest miss was Dave Edmunds.

Without him at the beginning and the success of I Hear You Knocking, they would never have survived to host all these famous people.

His drummer Dave Charles was resident engineer. Again, would have had some good tales.

Ah well...

• Like 2

Yes, Mickey, I associate Rockfield with Dave Edmunds. But regrettably my knowledge of things rock is not as extensive as that enjoyed by several members of this parish. I enjoyed that programme, especially the first half  when English eccentricity was at its finest.

Edited by bassace

47 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

True, but surely the biggest miss was Dave Edmunds.

Without him at the beginning and the success of I Hear You Knocking, they would never have survived to host all these famous people.

His drummer Dave Charles was resident engineer. Again, would have had some good tales.

Ah well...

He wasn't in it at the beginning? That's ridiculous, he is Mr Rockfield. In that case I won't bother trying to catch the first half.

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

He wasn't in it at the beginning? That's ridiculous, he is Mr Rockfield. In that case I won't bother trying to catch the first half.

He was featured briefly.

They did show a little bit about recording I hear you knocking.

Budgie didn't feature,but I guess that's for the same reason that Man weren't mentioned.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bassace said:

Yes, Mickey, I associate Rockfield with Dave Edmunds. But regrettably my knowledge of things rock is not as extensive as that enjoyed by several members of this parish. I enjoyed that programme, especially the first half  when WELSH eccentricity was at its finest.

Fixed!

3 hours ago, steantval said:

It was ok until the Gallagher brother was featured (far too much of him IMO), that guy is so obnoxious, he cannot even string one sentence together without using the f word.

Desperate to be recognised for his “wild man” credentials by the look of it. Seemed proud that he got bored of recording an album, went to the pub, came back with a load of hangers-on, and trashed the place in a fight with his brother.

Wow I wish I was that cool. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

He was featured briefly.

True - I didn’t make that clear. But the footage was nicked from a TV documentary a little later when he was doing his Phil Spector pastiches, I think.

The only conclusion that I draw is that he has fallen out with the Wards or, having retired (he still lives locally), couldn’t be persuaded to talk.

He is an awkward bugger, to be fair. I was once in a dressing room with him for half an hour and he completely blanked me!

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

True - I didn’t make that clear. But the footage was nicked from a TV documentary a little later when he was doing his Phil Spector pastiches, I think.

The only conclusion that I draw is that he has fallen out with the Wards or, having retired (he still lives locally), couldn’t be persuaded to talk.

He is an awkward bugger, to be fair. I was once in a dressing room with him for half an hour and he completely blanked me!

I knew nothing of the Dave Edmunds/Rockfield connection until I read posts on here.

It does seem strange that they highlighted the fact that The Stone Roses saved them financially (Who also sounded like ar*holes to me and wouldn't take part in the film!) but didn't really give the credit for launching them to Mr Edmunds.

Overall i enjoyed the film but it  was a little "Rockfield lite"  hardly any real revelations about the antics of all the bands.

On 19/07/2020 at 10:07, steantval said:

Exactly. I'm sorry he's got Turets but its very difficult to watch so I have to turn off. Same with Dave Grohl he's got the same problem...pity cause he'd be quite watchable if it wasn't for the language.