Why become a member? ×

dumb question?

dave moffat

OK I know it's probably a pretty dumb question and probably in the wrong section but then I'm pretty dumb anyway.

I'm finally finding out that I learn best by ear but being a techno-dunce I could do with some advice. I'm looking to practice playing along with tracks by putting them through my amp,

1. What is the most cost effective way of playing it so I can pause/rewind/repeat without a load of faffing around?

2.I'm planning on downloading tracks to a memory stick? is that the best option

3. Can I get a lead from whatever device I play it on into the input jack on the amp? Presumably from the headphone socket on the device?

words of one syllable aimed at a complete moron would be appreciated, thanks. please be gentle

29 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

OK I know it's probably a pretty dumb question and probably in the wrong section but then I'm pretty dumb anyway.

I'm finally finding out that I learn best by ear but being a techno-dunce I could do with some advice. I'm looking to practice playing along with tracks by putting them through my amp,

1. What is the most cost effective way of playing it so I can pause/rewind/repeat without a load of faffing around?

3. Can I get a lead from whatever device I play it on into the input jack on the amp? Presumably from the headphone socket on the device?

words of one syllable aimed at a complete moron would be appreciated, thanks. please be gentle

As @jrixn1 says, it would depend upon what amp you have.

However:

1. An MP3 player, laptop, tablet or mobile 'phone would be suitable;

2. USB stick would work as storage for your music if you're using a laptop. An SD card / micro SD would be suitable for  tablet / mobile 'phone;

3.Dependent on if your practice amp has an 'aux in', or 'MP3 in' socket, use this for the source music.

I use either a Promethean P20:

2007641907_Promcontrol.jpg.482ed5746691421b8c919156709ce8c8.jpg

Or an Ashdown Tourbus:

1976911113_Tourbuscontrol.jpg.1aa2a36b71177837e7485531294e5deb.jpg

And use a small tablet with Spotify & MP3 tracks stored to the Micro SD card, using the headphones socket.

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1

I have a fender fuse guitar amp which has an SD card slot (as well as aux in). It allows you to alter the pitch and speed of a track. 

That works for me although it doesn’t do rewind/FF or loop sections (not easily). 

I used to use a version of Guitar rig as that let you jump around the track, loop sections, slow down while keeping pitch, transpose, etc. That’s brilliant for learning stuff initially but you needed a compooter for it. 

I suspect you could achieve a similar effect now with an iPad, GarageBand and a 3.5mm cable to the aux in of your amp

52 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

You don’t mention how you’re going to play the songs. Not meaning to come across wrongly, but a memory stick is only a storage device, it won’t play the songs. Have you got a smart phone? If you have then download them onto that, then play them from that. You just need a mini jack from your headphone outlet into the mini jack aux in.

As for cables, it looks like you'll probably need a stereo mini jack (3.5mm) to mini jack.  I'd avoid the cheapest ones, which cost only a few quid, as I've found them to be of the poorest quality; they develop crackle, or only one side works.

I usually go to Designacable.com - either their website or their ebay store; here's a link to a mini jack cable -   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-Stereo-Mini-Jack-Lead-3-5mm-Car-iPod-iPhone-AUX-Headphone-Cable/161775144057  

However, do check which size you need before ordering - for example if your playback device only has a standard (1/4") jack output, then you'll need a 1/4" jack to 3.5mm jack, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, looks like I need to seek out a lead to link the playing device to the amp, probably the cube street which is OK for practice. Need to add a bigger amp anyway which leaves me 2 to trade in against something louder, I'm thinking Fender or Blackstar.

Haven't decide on the device yet, moving house sometime this year and will be setting up a music room, definitely getting a desktop but thinking about something smaller/handier for practice. Lots to think about, we've got sheet music and tabs lying all over the place which needs sorted and stored, I just need a shelf, erindoors needs something about the size of the British Library.

I use an MP3 player plugged into the aux socket.  However, if I don't have the track I'm learning youtube on the PC while paying through the amp is my preferred alternative.  Of course there are also some songs with bass covers and tab which you might find useful.

I use a laptop or my desktop PC, connected to a PJB Bass Buddy and headphones. Yes, I know, that's the no-expense-spared solution. 🙄

On the desktop I've got Best Practice, which is free and OK. On the laptop I've got Phrase Trainer, which was £20 when I bought it and it's far better than BP (although BP will suffice for most uses).

:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

You can use these:

Lanyey.jpg

roland cube.jpg

This. You have the amp already just need mini jack lead from your player of choice (laptop, ipad, ipod, phone etc) then headphones into the next jack socket over (rec out/phones).  Jobs a good 'un. This exact set up works for me, just joined another band & had couple albums worth of originals to learn, tracks from bandcamp & spotify.

• Like 1

+1 for what Norm said. If that’s your amp then that’s the most cost effective answer to your perfectly reasonable question. It has an aux-in to connect to the music source of your choice (phone, cd player, mp3 player) and a headphone out ( might need a 1/4 in to 3.5mm adapter depending on your headphones)
I wanted something similar but with a bit more portability for moving from room to room.
In the end I got a Zoom B1 Four. It has aux in ( use a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable from the phone/mp3 player). Headphone out is via the output socket (my headphones have the 3.5mm jack so a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter is needed). It can double as an effects pedal if you fancy trying those out. It also has a tuner and drum machine built in which are handy but not what you specified.

Edited by Pat2019
Details added
  • Like 1

Mixer?!? 😟

<<<runs and hides in a dark corner under the stairs

Hoping to buy a house with no neighbours, but headphones would be a good idea for when erindors is at home, especially if I'm butchering my way through something new.

The cube has some effects and I've got 3 pedals so far, wah, tremelo and chorus, might get an octave which is plenty for me to be going on with.

• Like 1

I use 'Amazing Slow Downer' app on my phone. You can add a song and, as it says on the tin, slow it down while keeping it in the original key. You can then loop different parts of the song if you wish until you get it down. There is also an inbuilt graphic equaliser to fiddle with to get the bassline to pop out even more. 

Also you can whack the whole track up an octave which really makes the bassline jump out on hard to hear parts if you can stand the Alvin and the chipmunks effect! 

Really useful little app. 

https://www.ronimusic.com/asd_android.htm

• Like 2

There's loads of ways to do it. Back when all this were fields as far as you can see I just had a Cassette mix tape if all the songs I was learning playing on my stereo while I played my bass through an amp. Some of the older tech like the CD bass trainers can be quite cheap on ebay. I find just connecting my phone to an aux in, or more recently using a Blackstar BEAM to Bluetooth my music too and use as my amp works fine. 

Edited by uk_lefty

20 hours ago, dave moffat said:

It's after a lot of trial and effort, I can't read music, I can manage tabs but find it tiring and tedious as I keep losing my place, fortunately I do seem seem to find learning by ear fairly easy.

That bass buddy/ipad/headphone set up looks like it could be the answer.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb g**tarists.

I have the Tascam GB10 as well.  It's a fantastic device and the only downside is that it doesn't have an aux in, so you have to use MP3s, rather than plugging in an external source.  The pay-off is that it can both loop sections and slow things down, which helps with keeping up with tabs. 

I use mine with headphones, as it's much clearer than putting it though an amp and easier to pick out the different parts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I use 'Amazing Slow Downer' app on my phone. You can add a song and, as it says on the tin, slow it down while keeping it in the original key. You can then loop different parts of the song if you wish until you get it down. There is also an inbuilt graphic equaliser to fiddle with to get the bassline to pop out even more. 

Also you can whack the whole track up an octave which really makes the bassline jump out on hard to hear parts if you can stand the Alvin and the chipmunks effect! 

Really useful little app. 

https://www.ronimusic.com/asd_android.htm

The Tascam that the OP has can both slow things down and alter the pitch.  Very handy! As is the loop function that I mentioned in my earlier post.

15 hours ago, dave moffat said:

Mixer?!? 😟

<<<runs and hides in a dark corner under the stairs

Hoping to buy a house with no neighbours, but headphones would be a good idea for when erindors is at home, especially if I'm butchering my way through something new.

The cube has some effects and I've got 3 pedals so far, wah, tremelo and chorus, might get an octave which is plenty for me to be going on with.

Know what you mean. However, you can pick up a small used passive mixer for next to nowt on eBay. Some are about the size of an iPad. You don't need sophisticated eq or 24 channels. Worth a thought?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Know what you mean. However, you can pick up a small used passive mixer for next to nowt on eBay. Some are about the size of an iPad. You don't need sophisticated eq or 24 channels. Worth a thought?

Or one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/behringer-502-Behringer-Xenyx-mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=behringer+mixer&qid=1582721522&sr=8-28