Why become a member? ×

Do you cut your strings? Why or why not?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Always cut to length. Measure enough for 3 turns around the post (exact length depends on the size of the post) bend 90 degrees & cut, leaving about 15mm to insert into the post. Never, in 40-odd years of string changing have I experienced unravelling windings.

Never used Newtone & probably won't, if they're fussily made and would necessitate a mess of unused string either wrapped around the post or waving around & jabbing the guitarist in the eye.

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Never quite figured this angst about break angles.

Why do we need a greater angle at the nut than we get when we fret strings?

I think those who worry about this should be force to play bass lutes.

In my experience, too little break angle can cause open strings to vibrate in the nut - remember a fretted string has pressure holding it down.

On one bass, the A has an audible overtone when played open, which turned out to be the string vibrating on the other side of the nut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

In my experience, too little break angle can cause open strings to vibrate in the nut - remember a fretted string has pressure holding it down.

On one bass, the A has an audible overtone when played open, which turned out to be the string vibrating on the other side of the nut.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I had a Fender that had a recalcitrant A string that would pop out of the nut at the slightest provocation.  making sure the winds went down as fr as they could to increase the break angle cured it.

So it's a compensation for badly cut nuts 🤩

It was always advised not to cut guitar strings (unless you bend them first), but on bass strings, the winding does not normally extend to the very end because if it did, it would be too fat to fit on or into the tuner. So they shouldn't be a problem. I never have trouble cutting mine and I have to with E and sometimes A strings or they won't fit on the tuner post.