Why become a member? ×

Small head for Rock ! With a big R

Stealth

Hi

im trying to find something gig bag pocket size to replace my Terror Bass 500 head. I like the sound and power of the TB. A little more top end zing would be cool but not essential. Needs som ooomph as I generally use a TC RS212 which is 8 Ohm. I like the TC it’s portable reasonably light  and tough.

i suppose you would say a full cleanish sound with some top end grit is what I’m after. 
what have you used you would recommend 

S

Edited by Stealth

5 hours ago, Stealth said:

I would recommend Aguilar amps. I use a TH500 (think Stax and Motown) and my main amp is the AG700, which excels across the whole frequency range. IMO Markbass is also worth a listen.

Rugby isn't far from Bass Direct. I'd get over there and try some amps.

I've owned the Orange and the Darkglass. I'd say the Darkglass is certainly more flexible than the Orange and it certainly will give you more top-end, but I spent most of the time owning it trying to make it sound as good as the Orange did. Take from that what you will...

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 18:22, Stealth said:

Hi

im trying to find something gig bag pocket size to replace my Terror Bass 500 head. I like the sound and power of the TB. A little more top end zing would be cool but not essential. Needs som ooomph as I generally use a TC RS212 which is 8 Ohm. I like the TC it’s portable reasonably light  and tough.

i suppose you would say a full cleanish sound with some top end grit is what I’m after. 

S

GK MB800 gets my vote. Its very small, but very powerful. Fits in the front pocket of all my decent gig bags.

I had a GK Legacy for a while, lovely head, but quite a bit larger and heavier. Wouldn't even fit in the bag i normally keep my amp (GK, or Fender)/Helix/cables etc.

• Like 1

I echo the responses above which focus on size and headroom, with having a pedal / preamp to fine-tune your sound. I use my Rumble Head for its power and useful EQ, relying on my HX Stomp to provide the 'sound' as it were.

Edited by foxyFuze
  • Like 1

Ive almost always used a pre amp (mostly a BDDI) in front of my amps, which i run flat. Just recently though ive 'discovered' the tone knobs do actually work on my amp, so at the moment ive managed to simplify things a lot.

I too use a Rumble with mostly flat EQ, and have been using a Q/strip to just give it a bit of extra life. I prefer my GK heads without extra help though.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 10:10, Pirellithecat said:

Of the small (ish) and affordable D Class Amps I've tried, then the Ashdown RM EVO 2 500 was the best!  I ended up with an Ashdown ABM 600, but I would have been just as happy with the RM 500!

The new Ashdown RM800 is definately worth a look.