Why become a member? ×

Removing felt tip without damaging the finish

uk_lefty

I bought a 1984 Aria SB that needs some restoration in order to learn about tweaking, minor repairs and set ups. It arrives tomorrow. First job, some plank has written on it in some sort of felt tip pen on the headstock... The bit I can't just remove the finish from because of the logo and the headstock writing. Any tips for removing felt tip pen marks without damaging the finish? 

Thank you 

If someone has drawn on a whiteboard with a permanent marker, it's possible to draw over the top of it with a non-permanent whiteboard marker and then wipe the whole lot off. This might work on a lacquered or varnished piece of wood - maybe make up a test piece before trying it on the real thing?

• Like 3

So I managed this very easily with some dettol spray and a cloth. And cleaned the whole bass while I was at it. Very glad I could do that, now a clean headstock on my project bass. I'm doing a restoration diary elsewhere in this section of the forum if anyone wants to go "NOOOOOOOO!" before I do something catastrophic to this already mistreated bass. 

IMG_20200225_115558.jpg

• Like 5