Why become a member? ×

Fake fender neck

• 1 month later...

I'll list the main red flags that caught my eye, without having to look too hard:

• The shape of the headstock is wrong - it looks slightly bigger & more curvy like a 70's strat, but not so exterme.
  • The width at the nut appears to be more like a jazz but this is labelled as a precision - Fender have made some precisions with a jazz-style neck, but I'm not sure whether this is the case for any MiM ones, so this on its own wouldn't necessarily be proof of a fake.
  • The decal is a very poor fake - the letters of 'Precision bass' are distorted in different directions for some unknown reason - Fender never did that.
  • The access hole for the truss rod tool is too wide. On a genuine Fender would have a fillet made of a dark wood (probably walnut) plug with a hole in it.
  • On the back of the headstock the fake 'Made in Mexico' & serial decal looks nothing like it would on a genuine fender - it is using the wrong typeface and dimensions.
  • The tuners look similar to the ones typically used on a MiM but appear to be possibly a cheaper type.
Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure. If it is a Squier the curvy headstock point to it being a bottom of the range job like an affinity P bass, although I don't think the affinity was available as early as 1995 but there may have been an equivalent. Whatever it is the whole bass it came off would probably be worth £100 at most so £69 for just the neck is too much in my opinion.

screenshot-436.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Not sure. If it is a Squier the curvy headstock point to it being a bottom of the range job like an affinity P bass, although I don't think the affinity was available as early as 1995 but there may have been an equivalent. Whatever it is the whole bass it came off would probably be worth £100 at most so £69 for just the neck is too much in my opinion.

screenshot-436.jpg

My thoughts too - I sold a Squier Affinity P (a whole working bass) a few months back for £60.

szT5T4B.jpg

They are good basses for the money.

I sold the Squier after I bought a beat-up Fender MIM Precision for £100. The body was knackered, but the rest of it was OK (and it had a Badass II bridge). I figured I could replace the body if the damage did turn out to be structural, but it seems stable. I do need to strip the finish though and re-do it (subject to not finding major issues).

cnevLEa.jpg

kr91OPs.jpg

So, £77.50 (inc. postage) for a de-badged Squier Precision neck is too much, IMHO. (The only plus thing about it is that it's not had a fake Fender decal stuck on it!).

• Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUIRE-by-FENDER-Bullet-Strat-Neck/324131626867?hash=item4b77c01f73:g:V6cAAOSw91tekF17As far as Squier stuff goes, I bought the pink Squier Bullet Strat on the right there for £7.50 in a shop closing down sale in February; I've had to put a pickguard & pickups on it, a new nut, and a set of strings; once it's done it's probably worth £60.

rVSF5Yc.jpg

It would be all too easy to get carried away and over-pay for parts, to then find you could've saved money by buying a whole working guitar.

Which is what the person who buys this one is going to have done (currently £36.20 inc postage after 14 bids)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUIRE-by-FENDER-Bullet-Strat-Neck/324131626867?hash=item4b77c01f73:g:V6cAAOSw91tekF17

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by prowla

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, inthedoghouse said:

So what do you think a reasonable price for a used genuine Mex P neck would be?  I'll probably be looking for one in the fairly near future.

Well South of £200.

I paid £150 for one a couple of years back and I believe I over-paid; however, the resulting bass turned out to be excellent, so I think I got a good one!

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

Well South of £200.

I paid £150 for one a couple of years back and I believe I over-paid; however, the resulting bass turned out to be excellent, so I think I got a good one!

Thanks for that - I think 200 seems a bit high too.  There's one on eBay for 200, which is why I asked.  I'm not in a rush.

Edited by inthedoghouse