Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Jaguar

RussFM

When I started playing guitar aged 16 I wanted a Fender Jaguar, probably because of Kurt Cobain, Brian Molko and John Frusciante. Then I took to playing bass and forgot about them, until Fender released the bass version in 2006, but I couldn't afford one at the time. And I didn't really like the red with matching headstock which was the only one I ever saw come up for sale.

Early last year I hunted down an Olympic white 2015 US version, and it's been my favourite bass since. This week I saw a MIJ version for sale, I had to have it, and I picked it up today! 

2008, never giggled, in great condition. Now I have twins, with the added benefit of being able to choose between the P and the J sound!

20200222_141418.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful twins!

I have an identical USA Jaguar, bought 5 years ago.  They're a very versatile bass.  My only complaint is that the fret position markers on the top of the neck are not easy to see.  I don't look at the frets when playing so it's not a massive problem except if you're moving over several frets on a poorly lit stage.

One really good thing about the USA Jaguar is that it will still play with a flat battery, indeed even with the battery removed completely.

Frank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussFM said:

When I started playing guitar aged 16 I wanted a Fender Jaguar, probably because of Kurt Cobain, Brian Molko and John Frusciante. Then I took to playing bass and forgot about them, until Fender released the bass version in 2006, but I couldn't afford one at the time. And I didn't really like the red with matching headstock which was the only one I ever saw come up for sale.

Early last year I hunted down an Olympic white 2015 US version, and it's been my favourite bass since. This week I saw a MIJ version for sale, I had to have it, and I picked it up today! 

2008, never giggled, in great condition. Now I have twins, with the added benefit of being able to choose between the P and the J sound!

20200222_141418.jpg

That pic made me smile :)

• Like 1

On 22/02/2020 at 20:26, RussFM said:

20200222_141418.jpg

Nice. I always wanted one but never managed to pick one up. I always thought that the 2 Jazz pickups look much better in these than a P/J combination. Ditto the chrome switch plates; whenever I see the modern ones with a big expanse of empty pickguard, i think they look naff, and pretty cheap. they always put me in mind of the cheapo Stagg ones from about 10 years ago. The MIJ Jags are the original and best.