Why become a member? ×

Ebay scam?

PaulWarning

already replied, 

sorry, not happy with this, I lose ebay buyer protection, if you want to relist it with a buy it now price of £200 I'l rebid on it, I think it's £1 selling fees at the moment, if you don't want to do this, we can just forget about it, no problem.

no reply yet

Just now, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Waste of time - The bass doesn't exist.

I'll let you know, if it doesn't it's a strange bass to try a scam on (left handed Shine Ric copy), more like there's something wrong with it and he's only got a feedback score of 2, so he's probably been kicked off ebay before

24 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I'll let you know, if it doesn't it's a strange bass to try a scam on (left handed Shine Ric copy), more like there's something wrong with it and he's only got a feedback score of 2, so he's probably been kicked off ebay before

I thought this one was listed for ages and didn't sell? Might just want a quick sale and didn't know how to do it properly

He probably doesn't want to pay final value fees. They only let certain people have the £1 selling fees offer, it's not for everyone.. but it does sound a very dodgy way to do business. Cant you collect for cash? Even if it was legit, what corners do you think he would cut on packing a bass for shipment.

31 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

incidentally, is it a bit dodgy selling Ric copies? I notice in the listing he didn't actually mention Rickenbacker by name 

I've been watching fakers for the past month or two.  There was a time not so long back when eBay would pull the ads very quickly but recently they seem to go full term, don't know why that should be.

• Like 1

May be a fair point, @Happy Jack, not following Ebay listings too much these days (combination of the bargains drying up & me having a "proper" job!) but I've had a beat-up but fixable MIJ Faker on watch for a week with every expectation of it being pulled. Runs out today and still there. Not bidding, just curious.

So yes, they're arguably less zealous but I wonder if it's as much to do with the proliferation of unaccountable and un - C&D - able Chinese copies around these days, which really weren't there in JH's heyday. RIC is still a small, family-owned business and if they were chasing all these they probably wouldn't have the time or the money to actually make guitars.

I still maintain, if they had any sense they'd license a decent, accurate budget range  with legit Rickenbacker branding. That would kill new Fakers stone dead and make them a shedload of money at the same time.

Trouble is, who'd pay through the nose for a shoddy, insanely expensive US-made Rick then? :ph34r: :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ribbetingfrog said:

As long as you pay through PayPal goods and services you’re well covered but I’d still avoid it.

if in doubt, don’t go near.

as I said a few posts ago he relisted as BIN and I bought it, but surely you don't get the same protection if it's not bought through ebay?

Ebay has the description and conditions of the sale written down in stone by the seller. That is what would be used if what you received didnt match the description, then paypal would refund.

If theres no proof of condition of sale and you just paid paypal, he could say he told you it was broken etc then you'll more than likely get nothing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, la bam said:

Ebay has the description and conditions of the sale written down in stone by the seller. That is what would be used if what you received didnt match the description, then paypal would refund.

If theres no proof of condition of sale and you just paid paypal, he could say he told you it was broken etc then you'll more than likely get nothing.

yes, that's what I was thinking, as it turns out it looks like he was just trying to avoid selling fees