Why become a member? ×

Hanging basses on the wall

Bafflegab

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

One of mine looks like that, but then it has always looked like that and I put it in 10 years or so ago. Never moved in that time. Has it moved to go there?

I don't think so.  But the hanger does rock side to side if I make it.  Which I shouldn't do

2 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

I don't think so.  But the hanger does rock side to side if I make it.  Which I shouldn't do

If it moves, the fixing will gradually break down the plasterboard and fail.

Use a proper plasterboard fixing like in the video I posted earlier in the thread.

5 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

For screwing things to walls, I work on the principle that the screws are there to pull the things tight to the wall, if they're flush and being pulled against the wall it's the friction that stops them moving downwards. That's what screws are for, for pulling two surfaces tight to each other. I wouldn't use a guitar hanger that wasn't pulled flat to the wall with some nice tight screws. The last ones I put up werent' flat on the back so I sanded them down until they were.