Why become a member? ×

Hanging basses on the wall

Bafflegab

11 hours ago, Sibob said:

I’ve never quite understood the ‘hanging basses on the wall’ thing, with most houses going hot/cold/hot/cold constantly. Unless you’re particularly attached to the aesthetic, I’d leave them in their cases, creates a micro-climate each bass, more likely to hold their setup for longer.

Sorry to not be helpful with your question, but just thought I’d mention :).

Hope you get it sorted either way though!

Si

I absolutely see your point, but like Silvia says, I just wanna grab and play (hurr hurr) rather than having to dig one out each time.  Plus, unfortunately, I don’t have a case for either 🤣 just one padded gig bag that whichever one is going out gets chucked into

10 hours ago, ambient said:

Very. They’re also less likely to get knocked, or in my house; Joshed, Josh being my 5 year old nephew, Joshed being what tends to happen to items he touches, somehow they’re never quite the same again 😂. My cat hides in the airing cupboard when she hears him.

Mostly I’d like to keep mine out of the way of my two barmy terriers, who have absolutely no awareness of what’s around them when they’re in full play mode (which is most of the time).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Real bummer to post here but ....

In general, if your house was built before 1999 just try and be confident that the walls don’t have any sort of asbestos insulation board (AIB) any where that you are likely to be drilling .

just completed my awareness renewal and the death rates from asbestos diseases are not likely to peak for another 15 years.

it is a total bastard and there should be a national outcry , it is everywhere and really doesn’t get the press and coverage it needs. 

Very useful information thank you.  Luckily my place was built in 2016 but good to know for any future folk searching for info 

2 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

Really appreciate the responses all, thank you.  I’m gonna go buy some better screws and work up the confidence to have a go later today.

Another question - as I’m going through the drywall/plasterboard into the studs, do I need any kind of rawl plugs etc?

No , you mainly use rawlplugs in masonry, just pilot a hole with a small drill bit and put your screw in 👍

• Like 1

I've got 14 acoustics and basses on wall hangers, the rest of floor stands. I've ALWAYS used rawlplugs whenever mounting a wall hanger, I would absolutely advise you do the same, none of my hangers have ever moved and inch or looked at all wobbly over the years, and some have had to hold up some fairly heavy and expensive basses for the 4 odd years they've been in situ. Especially if you've only got the tip of your screw into the stud. 

Edited by binky_bass

11 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

The other thing to watch out for is earthquakes. 

If one lives in an area prone to earthquakes one is advised to eschew wall-hangers and keep one's instruments in their cases.

Just saying.

Very important advice.  Thank you.

Agree with the wooden strip across the wall directly screwed onto the stud woodwork then screw your hangers onto the wood. Make sure you leave enough space between basses in case they don't hang straight down. Some basses will fall slight off centre depending on type of hanger and weight distribution. My hangers pivot but some basses do still lie slightly off centre. You don't want your basses banging together when hanging or removing either.

Here's mine

The Bass Room 004.JPG

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Sibob said:

I’ve never quite understood the ‘hanging basses on the wall’ thing, with most houses going hot/cold/hot/cold constantly. Unless you’re particularly attached to the aesthetic, I’d leave them in their cases, creates a micro-climate each bass, more likely to hold their setup for longer.

Mine have to be either on the wall or in stands, and I only have the space for a stand. If a bass (or anything else) is in a case, it will never get taken out. If it isn't going to get taken out of its case, I might as well sell it.

Never had a problem with setups, but then I don't really have any 'sensitive' instruments.

13 hours ago, ambient said:

Very. They’re also less likely to get knocked, or in my house; Joshed, Josh being my 5 year old nephew,

Obviously it is different if your house isn't safe for instruments due to children or animals!

P1130721.thumb.jpg.777eb2769e1ac186d088237b7a73cc22.jpg

These hangers were put up (well, 4 of them were) in 2008. The walls here are like powder.

I was initially concerned about the middle ones as they are quite long (and the brown bass is heavy, but it has only been there since 2018) but never had any trouble with it. I check every year to see if they have moved at all, they never have.

I have another 4 upstairs. One came out when I first put it there as I used the original screws that came with it that were about an inch long and tiny, I put it back with proper screws and all is good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Yup, we've also learned that P and J basses need their hooks at an angle, like that where your Jazz is hanging from, because of the shape of their headstock. :)

Luckily when i bought the hangers they were the swivel type so that helps a lot but there's still some side  movement.

• Like 1

To be fair my house temp ranges from 15-20 oC. Its well insulated triple glazed and no matter what temp is outside it retains heat very well.

On the other hand it gets very warm on that hot day we get every couple of years up here.

For me the temperature change isn't an issue but i can see how it could be. I've not always lived in warm, well insulated houses :lol:

I don't have cases for every bass either so this was cheaper than buying cases and i'd have nowhere to store 5-10 basses in cases. All i have is my tiny bass cave to escape the pleasures of life.(hoover, washing machine and 4 bloomin cats) :laugh1:

My main working bass the Sandberg VM4 is kept on a floor stand cause i find it easier to use from that on a daily basis. The others are either back ups or for specific bands or projects i've been in over the years. 3 of the basses in the pic have now gone.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Real bummer to post here but ....

In general, if your house was built before 1999 just try and be confident that the walls don’t have any sort of asbestos insulation board (AIB) any where that you are likely to be drilling .

just completed my awareness renewal and the death rates from asbestos diseases are not likely to peak for another 15 years.

it is a total bastard and there should be a national outcry , it is everywhere and really doesn’t get the press and coverage it needs. 

Good point. One of our smaller site offices had asbestos in the walls and we had to put signs on every wall stating not to drill without masks etc. If i remember right it was actually the wall covering rather than the wall. A kind of early artex from 1976.

I don't actually drill the plaster board. I tend to use a phillips screwdriver with a twist and push motion thru the wall and always have a damp cloth around it to capture any dust. I believe the big issue with drilling is the amount of dust it causes. (the screwdriver is exact width for the plasterboard wall plugs i use.)

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Agree with the wooden strip across the wall directly screwed onto the stud woodwork then screw your hangers onto the wood. Make sure you leave enough space between basses in case they don't hang straight down. Some basses will fall slight off centre depending on type of hanger and weight distribution. My hangers pivot but some basses do still lie slightly off centre. You don't want your basses banging together when hanging or removing either.

Here's mine

The Bass Room 004.JPG

Have you thought about painting the wall like a shadow board so you know where each one belongs and more importantly spot if one is missing?

• Haha 5