Why become a member? ×

Hanging basses on the wall

Bafflegab

Evening ladies and gents.  Just got a couple of questions about hanging my basses on the wall.  I’m utterly useless at DIY so am nervous about trying this myself, but won’t learn if I don’t try stuff, right?

Got my string swing hangers, and I've already located the studs (the drywall in this house is a bit crap (I’ve had a curtain rail fall down in the past!) so definitely putting the screws in the studs).  I’m assuming I just use the screws themselves without any other plugs etc?  

How far do the screws need to go into the studs?  When I account for the wood mount of the hanger and the approx depth of the drywall, it only leaves about 1” (maybe 1.25”) of the supplied screws.  Is that enough?

They aren’t heavy basses, both between 7 - 7.5 lbs, but I obviously don’t want them falling down and getting damaged.

Thank you

Pilot a hole through where you are going to put the hanger , to make sure it’s timber studs and not metal stud ,  (your hanger will cover the hole)    the plasterboard should be about 13mm , then I would recommend at least 40-50mm of screw into the timber , some houses have 2 layers of board 🙂

• Like 1

I’m *reasonably* confident that I’ve got the wooden studs.  My mate lent me this weird screw thing with a handle to test... and I also knocked around the wall to find where it didn’t sound as hollow.

The construction is definitely wooden studs, it’s a new build, they took all the shortcuts hahaha

No No No! Simplify the process. Buy a shortish piece of plank of appropriate size (I tend to use a 48" length of 5" x 1" or similar) and take your time positioning screwholes - preferably countersunk to get rid of the heads - in the plank and matching holes in the walls over the wooden studs.

Attach your guitar hangers to the plank, working safely and comfortably on a workbench, and finally attach the completed rig to the wall. This last bit is MUCH easier if you have a helpmate.

Be aware that the supplied screws that come with most guitar hangers IME are pathetic slot-heads made of cheese. Buy some decent cross-head/Philips/Posidrive screws to replace them, and be sure to use the right type of screwdriver/bit rather than "this is close enough, it'll do".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It simply makes it easier to position the hooks correctly - as in, straight angles, at equal intervals, etc., while the plank is on the worktable, as opposed to having to use steps/stepladders, measuring distances from ceilings and furniture, etc.

As Jack says, however, best to have a pair of helping hands available; if you're on your own, individual hooks are probably less hard work, albeit more of a PITA to reposition should you ever need to do that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bafflegab said:

That kinda sounds like twice the work to me!

Not if you are putting it up on a brick wall where there is a good chance there is a mortar gap at any point you try and drill (due to sods law). You can also use very strong beefy fixings on a board vs a hanger.

• Like 2

I’ve never quite understood the ‘hanging basses on the wall’ thing, with most houses going hot/cold/hot/cold constantly. Unless you’re particularly attached to the aesthetic, I’d leave them in their cases, creates a micro-climate each bass, more likely to hold their setup for longer.

Sorry to not be helpful with your question, but just thought I’d mention :).

Hope you get it sorted either way though!

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

Ha! But our studio has 24-hour aircon/heating keeping the temperature at 18 degrees, minimal humidity all year. :)

It's also rather handy to be able to pick up any bass you may fancy playing instantly, without rummaging through piles of cases on top of a shelving unit (as was the case - NPI - with some of ours before). YMMV and all that. :)

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 3

Basses are not particularly sensitive to hot/cold/hot/cold, so hanging 'em on a wall is pretty safe for 'em (no, you fool; not an outside wall..! A living room wall, dolt..!). My Verithin has been hanging on the wall behind my head for over a decade, with no ill effects, and our cottage is certainly not air con 18°..! The wall hanger is bolted to the wall, though, with the penny washer and nut on the other side, which would make a decent hat peg, such is the bolt length, if only I had a hat. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

And anyway, it's cool, innit?

Very. They’re also less likely to get knocked, or in my house; Joshed, Josh being my 5 year old nephew, Joshed being what tends to happen to items he touches, somehow they’re never quite the same again 😂. My cat hides in the airing cupboard when she hears him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

My Verithin has been hanging behind my head for over a decade, with no ill effects

Getting the screws in must have hurt. Anyway, when you shower or bathe, do you wrap the Hofner in a plastic bag?

Or just give it a good shake afterwards and go stand in the airing cupboard?

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The other thing to watch out for is earthquakes. 

If one lives in an area prone to earthquakes one is advised to eschew wall-hangers and keep one's instruments in their cases.

Just saying.

I can’t remember the last time Hackney had an earthquake, but it’s worth knowing skank 👍😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Real bummer to post here but ....

In general, if your house was built before 1999 just try and be confident that the walls don’t have any sort of asbestos insulation board (AIB) any where that you are likely to be drilling .

just completed my awareness renewal and the death rates from asbestos diseases are not likely to peak for another 15 years.

it is a total bastard and there should be a national outcry , it is everywhere and really doesn’t get the press and coverage it needs. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I can’t remember the last time Hackney had an earthquake, but it’s worth knowing skank 👍😄

Ah, but you see, the OP referred in his opening post not to plasterboard but to drywall, a term perhaps uncommon in Hackney but frequently deployed in our former transatlantic colonies including but not limited to the United States of America and possibly Canada.

Ergo, one may deduce with a degree of certainty (if not complete certitude) that the OP may not be 'local' and may live in - say - California, where earthquakes are - if not common - of sufficient consequence as to lead one to question the advisability of wall hangers.

I present below a map of those places where wall hangers may or may not be deployed with confidence. Tip: Not in the red bits.

earthquake-danger-zone-world-map-800.jpg

4 minutes ago, ped said:

What about command strips on the back of the bass. Invisible. Quick. Easy. Dangerous. 

I'm glad you asked. IMO, command strips would merit consideration whether in areas of seismic hazard or not.

Moreover command strips on the rear of the body would obviate the necessity of posting the next question people tend to ask which is 'Will it affect the neck / neck relief if I hang my bass from these hangers I've just put up?'

• Like 3
  • Haha 2