Why become a member? ×

US Expat/Student in London (almost)

Jeff Elkins

Greetings Basschat!

I've been a lurking member since 2016, but just recently completed my profile and plan to be more active. I'm a Talkbass member and regular participant on that forum, but am planning a move to London this summer. I've been accepted into BIMM's MA in Popular Muisc Practice program and have an application under consideration at UWL for their MMus in Popular Music Performance. I have less than a month to confirm with BIMM, but am awaiting an offer from UWL to consider/compare. Both are one year, three semester programs.

My partner and I are planning to come over as early as the student visa allows - 30 days pre-program start - so we'll be there in August. She's currently researching housing while I dig into the visa details. I'll be surfing the site for tips, and likely asking for more information!

Gear: I'm a doubler, and own an Engelhardt upright that got me through bluegrass school and a couple of tours. But I'm currently focusing on electric; I own a medium scale Fender Aerodyne Jazz, a Fender Aerodyne Classic Precision Bass Special (currently for sale), a parts P/J bass, and a Muckelroy HMC5. I'm likely only bringing the Muck with me. I play through a Walkabout Scout combo+ext cab for loud gigs, and use a Quilter BB800 plus an Acoustic Image Upshot for quieter gigs (including upright gigs).

Genre: These days I primarily play with my jazz quintet and work in theater pits for musicals. I dep for jazz, bluegrass, and old-time bands in the region. Have a pickup cajun Mardi Gras gig coming up on Tuesday!

I've recorded a few CDs with bands over the past few years - The Great Smoky Mountain Bluegrass Band, Black Coffee, and Yesterday Comes Again are the ones where I also performed as a regular member of the groups.

Attaching some photos, as recommended!

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Jeff

https://www.jeffreykelkins.com/

5.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

54525551_10100413766346083_5106942979411542016_n.jpg

201904062302016680.jpg

TARP-Halo1.JPG

• Like 3

Super cool. Welcome to The Other Side Of The Pond, Jeff! 😉😎

Let us know about any queries in General Discussion - there are quite a lot of Basschatters who have been to college and/or teach and have a lot of experience of being or having students in London. And don't forget the double bass section with our own mini-community-within-the-community. :)

• Thanks 1