Why become a member? ×

End Of An Era - new strings

Happy Jack

Quick update on the Eva Pirazzi Slaps ... they're just lovely. Totally stable from Day #1, as in they needed just 24 hours to settle down and hold tune, plus the tone is simply indistinguishable from the nylon-wrapped guts at the D & G so there's excellent consistency across the four strings.

From a playing point of view, the smooth finish makes them far less damaging to my fingers. By my last couple of rehearsals with the copper-wound Pyramid E & A I was reduced to taping my plucking fingers to be able to get through. Since changing strings I've had no trouble at all.

I do have to say that the EP Slaps were no better to install than the Pyramids, needing two people + considerable effort + lots of faffing about to get them on, and I still wouldn't describe what we've done as a particularly professional job!

• Like 1

Only thing I noticed is that the Evah Pirazzi E and A are less middy/trebly than the old roundwound guts. They still sound fine together with the old D and G, but by comparison with the old E and A, they sound darker. That fits in with what also happens with flats v. rounds on bass guitar strings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aye - nice strings. Keeping EPSlap EAD with a gut G on my Kay for now ... EPweich EAD + gut G on the Mortone (slightly higher tension, punchier sound).

Sounds like you need a lesson in changing strings ... two people? Effort? Faffing? What are you playing at man!!?

EPs are a dream to string up...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Challenge accepted. What do you charge?

;)

A beer at the next gig should do it (err ... which is Sunday afternoon actually ... at an infamous dogging layby / roadside cafe near Guildford!) 

Maybe I'll do a video for yas! Or you could swing by one afternoon while I'm dossing out of work..

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 24/07/2020 at 22:34, Clarky said:

And of course, in true BassChat fashion, I will probably buy the Evah Slap E and A off @Happy Jack in the unlikely event he doesn't get on with them, lol!

So this turned out to be true.

Only not quite in the way you might think. 

😂

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, PaulKing said:

Go on, in what way? I'm still digging the slaps ... just dressed my latest bass with a set EAD gut G 

Normally when you buy a DB there's a chance that it will come with strings attached.

Well @Clarky bought the strings from me (as he threatened) but they came with a DB attached.

Think of it as Peak Basschat ...

• Haha 3