Why become a member? ×

Ready for the studio tomorrow

tvickey

Ready to head to the studio tomorrow to start recording with the rest of the guys.  In addition to these Warwicks, I'm bringing the GK Legacy head and will use that together with a cabinet in the studio.  The head has a direct out (pre- or post-eq), and the studio has AKG D112 and Shure SM57 mics.  Should sound really great I hope.

IMG_5892.jpg

• Like 2

On 27/02/2020 at 20:33, SH73 said:

How did the recording go?

Thanks for asking!  We recorded five songs over two days.  Drums first, with 'scratch' tracks laid down for everyone else.   We laid the real bass down after that, using about 3-6 takes for each song.  I had the opportunity to hear cleaned-up versions of the bass when the guitarist laid down his bit.  Sounding really good... the bass definitely has a real GK sound to it, with a lot of depth and a little bit of growl here and there. 

Still waiting for the final 'draft' of the mix to be sent back to us from the sound guy...  and we need to go back into the studio to do another 10 or so songs.  I was wondering to myself if I should bring a 15" into the studio... and record on both the 10" Ampeg and the 15", in addition to the direct out.  Just to see if it makes an even better bass sound.  But, already sounding really nice!

The best ( homemade) recorded bass sound I had was a combination of Di and mic up bass. Three- four tracks, each track differently eq d to get an array of frequecies and a touch of distortion. I don't have experience with 10 inch speakers but pressure they sound more mid range? I think bass is such a complex sound to get it sit in the mix. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...