Why become a member? ×

Sire V7 or P7 for R&B/Neo-Soul recording?

This Town Needs A Hero

Hi guys, first post here!

I'm just finding myself getting into bass recently and am wanting to buy a new one. Digging around online has shown Sire basses seem great value for money so I'm leaning towards the  new 5 string v7 or p7. I'm ashamed to say the primary draw towards the V7 is purely aesthetic, the burgundy is calling out to me!

I currently have a Fender Pawn Shop Bass Vi and have been using this for my basslines. Kind of a bass but not, for those who know. Am I likely to get a similar sound (and therefore want a different one for versatility) to this with the V7 or P7? I know nothing of the different sound types and what is appropriate and am looking to learn

I do a lot of home recording and songwriting and am big into R&B and Neo-Soul at present.

What would you recommend for this style of music?

Both the V7 and the P7 come with a 3 band preamp plus mid sweep and run in both active and passive modes so they cover a lot of sonic ground.

Either will work well in just about any genre.

I've got no personal experience with the P7 but I do have a V7 fretless which isn't going anywhere, I'd be surprised if the P7s weren't of the same quality so I suppose it comes down to which pickup configuration you prefer.

• Thanks 1

You’ll find bassists for Neo-Soul artists using Js and Ps. Js are arguably more common for the genre but both will sound great - and both will sound very different to your current bass. From what I’ve heard you really can’t go far wrong with Sire basses, especially the new version 2 models. The Sire preamp is a bit of a beast so you’ll definitely get tones you like out of it.

If you prefer the aesthetic of the V7 over the P7 then go for it! The look of an instrument can have as much influence over how much we enjoy playing as the sound. 

• Thanks 1

Do it! You get a lot for your money with a Sire, and if you don't identify as a bassist but dabble you've got an instrument for life that you'll never feel the need to upgrade... Unless you stay on BC and read about all kinds of weird exotica and think you need to have it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rik (ESA) said:

I have a 5 string V7 for sale in the bass ads here for £300, if you wanted to try out for not much brass! It's not Burgundy though I'm afraid! 

Brilliant bass, I just can't handle the 5th string so I'm back on a 4!

Kind of you to point me towards your ad. It'll be a while before I do buy tbh and when I do I will likely go for the burgendy, but thank you anyway!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...