Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** Left-handed Bassix EUB
£300
St Albans

For sale is my left-handed Bassix Bass Master Supertech electric upright. It is a 3/4 scale bass with a compact hollow body (so you get some quiet acoustic sound from it) and a magnetic pickup with onboard active preamp, which delivers some fairly convincing tones.

I bought this from the original owner a few years ago, intending to learn upright bass, but I’ve realised that it’s quite a lot of work that I simply don’t have time for, so it's not been used much. 

It’s in good condition, with one small scuffed area in the finish, on the back near the controls, and the remains of a piezo bug pickup that the previous owner stuck on. This could probably be removed with some sort of solvent but I’ve never risked it.

It comes with a fitted soft case and a custom stand.

More pictures can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5rol7d92aqc9qy7/AADEYVq67AJBiWmMFi5cXOIga?dl=0

Collection only due to size and shape. Price is a firm £300.

DSC_1242.jpg

DSC_1219.jpg

DSC_1221.jpg

DSC_1238.jpg

DSC_1245.jpg

DSC_1246.jpg

DSC_1225.jpg

Edited by pineweasel
Item sold
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Love a Bassix! 
Wonder how difficult it would be to swap it to right handed? 
Nut and bridge tinkering? 

Quite possibly. I'm no expert but the bridge has fairly wide slots anyway. The nut would definitely need attention, and the string routing to the tuners could be problematic perhaps?

Also the preamp controls would be on the other side, but that's probably not a big deal.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd pass on some thoughts about this rather nice EUB, as I was very intrigued by it. I expressed an interest, as it has a small acoustic chamber. The seller is quite some distance from me - so popping around to try it out was rather difficult.

However, @pineweasel happened to be visiting nearby, and very kindly offered to bring it to me, and in an even kinder and very trusting gesture, he offered to leave it with me over the weekend. This gave me the opportunity to try swapping the strings, to a right handed arrangement. This turned out to be very easy - the nut and bridge slots  are all wide enough, and rest assured, the strings don't move about from side to side. The sound from the pickup was pretty good too, I must say. Though they're magnetic pickups, the sound had a "woody" tone to it - quite unlike a similar looking Aria EUB I once tried.

I managed to take the bass to an acoustic trio rehearsal on Saturday afternoon / evening, to give it a good, lengthy trial. The location of the controls on the opposite side of the bass wasn't really an issue, in my opinion - it was still easy enough to see and quickly adjust. The only minor drawback IMO, is the slight angling of the bridge - it's angled to help intonation, when playing above 12th fret position, on a left handed bass. This would be slightly out when strung right handed. It didn't affect my playing though - I rarely venture high enough up the fingerboard! ;)  It may be possible to slightly re-locate one of the bridge supporting bolts, of course.

My only reason for not going for this superb EUB, is that I already have an acoustic upright and an NS Design EUB - but I must admit, I was rather tempted as this Bassix looks cool and sounds great, and is a really well made, quality instrument (I'd heard Alan Hatswell's work was of a high standard). This bass represents excellent value, and especially at this price range - indeed, it's the same sort of price bracket as a Stagg EUB, and they represent a superb value entry level upright bass - so this is even better, amazing value IMO. Like I say, It's a simple conversion to Right handed stringing, and pineweasel is a great, friendly BC member to deal with.

@pineweasel - I'd hang on to this if I were you..... interested buyers - if I was looking for an EUB - I'd look no further than this one :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...