Why become a member? ×

Fat Bass Tone for Power Trio

thebrig

I’m thinking about forming a power trio with my guitarist mate, up until now we have always played lighter rock so I’ve never really bothered that much with pedals, but I would love to produce a bass tone similar to what Daniel Spriewald achieves when playing with Phil X and The Drills.

Yes I know that even if my rig was exactly the same in every detail to what Daniel uses, I would never be as good as him, I still wouldn't sound like him, and it’s all in the fingers etc, but if I can add some grind and distortion without losing the bottom end, I think it would help big time with what we want to achieve.

If anyone can give me some advice on what pedals might help, I would very much appreciate it, but please go easy on me, I’m a complete novice when it comes to using pedals.

My rig consists of:

Various Precision Basses, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2, Barefaced Super Twin Cab

Here's a few clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNCSQZI1hro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIS4zOH70pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59m6BoEVkng

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1

It’s a nice grind that he gets, especially on Superstition. I think I’d be looking at the Tech21 VTDI or the Ampeg Scrambler/SCRDI, something warm/valvey sounding, but what doesn’t colour the natural sound of your bass too much. I can do similar with my Para Driver if I keep the blend back to midday rather than on full.

• Like 2

I'm after a similar thing, and have chopped and changed as I've refined. I use the bass fly fig with the Sansamp section always on with a bit of grit, then the boost set to pre, which gives it a little more grunt when any rhythm guitar drops out. Tiny bit of compression in front. For slower picking passages I'll put a little bit of chorus on if I'm further up the neck. Other than the BFR I have some song specific stuff, octave, reverb and delay. I find the octave useful for playing passages an octave higher than I would, and having it doubled underneath. It fattens things nicely and sounds cool on top of the dirty core tone..

I never played in anything more complicated than a bass, drums, guitar plus vocals.  I've done big/small rigs and right now I have a set up that pretty much trumps anything that's gone before.  

I bought a Darkglass A/O mainly for the output wattage more than anything else, I tend to run a Tech21 dug DP3X into the effects return.  This just goes into a Barefaced Big One (15/6).  It's an incredibly versatile set up.

Basswise, well for me at least, is reasonably unimportant; I can tweak and get the same kind of tone irrespective of what I plug in.

HI I'm in a rock Power Trio. I'm running a Ibanez Talman with a precision type tone (EMG Geezer PJ) through Ampeg Portaflex and Laney 410.

The main part of my sound is coming from my Hartke Bass Attack Preamp pedal- Discontinued but I highly recommend one if you can find one. It adds massive girth and presence to my tone. If I need a bit more colour I add in some OD from my Ampeg Scrambler pedal.

My current board looks like this:

re.jpg

25 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Ok, after a bit of researching some of your suggestions, its a toss-up between the Tech 21 BSDR SansAmp Bass Driver DI V2 Pedal and the Tech 21 dUg Pinnick DP-3X Signature Pedal.

DP-3X.

It'll do everything any of the other Sansamps will do.  It's almost too good. I've run a BDDI, VT Bass (rack and stomp), an RPM, a Landmark head, GT2, GED2112; I know each to their own, but the dUg is more versatile than any othe stuff I've mentioned.  It's blumming outstanding.

• Like 1

Tech21 DP3X will kill it - and you can probably close the thread.

Its more versatile than people think as they maybe just hear one tone from it.

Look up Time Starace’s video on the different ‘set’ tones the manual give you, it may even be on the pedals own thread on here.

The ultimate Power Trio is Kings X, that sound is massive

31 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Not always!

Entirely depends on what your guitarist is using and doing.

Its more - the right Mids, not necessarily all mids

certainly, mids covers a big area, I would say around 100 to 400Hz, but don't cut the others either, the smiley EQ face is not good

2 hours ago, Heathy said:

Could you be over thinking this one? Before investing in new gear, see what the new ensemble sounds like together. Daniel Spriewald's tone may be completely wrong for it.

Possibly, but the guitarist and myself have been playing together for over five years and we've usually had a second guitarist, but we feel we would like to try going down the power trio route so this pedal could help me a lot in filling out the sound, and if Daniel Spriewald's tone is not quite right, then there should be plenty of other tones I could try with this pedal.

At the moment, I don't use any pedals other than my Boss TU-3 tuner, so this would replace my tuner and give me a lot of options regarding tone in just one unit. 😉

• Like 2