Why become a member? ×

Jazz wiring help?

hooky_lowdown

I brought a pre-wired loom for a jazz project, oddly it's not wired in the standard way, see photo.

I was expecting to solder my pickups to both volume pots with the live wire going to the middle lug. However, the middle lug on both volume pots are wired together, leaving the outside lug on both pots available.

Do I just solder the live wire from my pickup to the outside lug, and ground to each pot? Does it matter which lug is used to connect the pots together?

IMG_20200220_090125350.thumb.jpg.6c9e29544383ec750bf07e8f84cbfac7.jpg

36 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

That loom won't work. When one pickup is turned completely off the other one is turned off too.

Why will turning one pickup off affect the other?

The wiring is the same as the diagram above, except the blue wires are wired to the middle lugs instead of the outside (left) lugs on both volume pots.

11 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Why will turning one pickup off affect the other?

The wiring is the same as the diagram above, except the blue wires are wired to the middle lugs instead of the outside (left) lugs on both volume pots.

See https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Understanding_Guitar_Wiring_I-4000_4.html.

I'd ask the loom supplier for advice. Paul 5 posted the standard J bass wiring diagram above. Best to follow that.

• Thanks 1