Why become a member? ×

Low Action

Ian Hinrichsen

Hi everyone, new guy here. 

I've only been playing for about 6 years, and i recently discovered something interesting when it comes to doing your own set up (I've slowly eased myself into it as I didn't want to break anything) 

Due to lazyness, i suppose, I like to have the action as low as possible, but on a 5 string it can be really frustrating as the B in particular, clatters on the frets if you play really fast double time sort of stuff. 

I've discovered, however, that lowering the saddles tends to make this worse than lowering the action using the truss rod? Lowering the action via the truss rod has brought much better results, so I'm in the process of actually raising the saddles a bit (as they were very low and the B saddle was almost all the way down!) 

Has anybody else ever come across this? 

It's really been a huge learning curve for me, i suppose that it might differ from instrument to instrument, but I'm now able to get the action far lower, than by just lowering the saddles? 

Very happy! 🙂 

• Like 2

Welcome to Basschat, Ian! Yes, the low B on a normal 34 inch scale bass is the main problem if you like low action. Longer scales are less of a problem (a Dingwall low B sounds and plays wondefully, if your hands can tackle its 37 inch scale!). I use a mixture of truss rod, nut height and saddle height tweaking, and I end up with a slightly raised low B that reduces clatter and a slightly lowered G, which makes it easier to play. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Welcome to Basschat, Ian! Yes, the low B on a normal 34 inch scale bass is the main problem if you like low action. Longer scales are less of a problem (a Dingwall low B sounds and plays wondefully, if your hands can tackle its 37 inch scale!). I use a mixture of truss rod, nut height and saddle height tweaking, and I end up with a slightly raised low B that reduces clatter and a slightly lowered G, which makes it easier to play. :)

Thanks so much! 🙂 👍🏻