Why become a member? ×

Musical Theatre Bass Songs!!

sammythebassplayer

There’s a few in west side story, Mambo, Cool, The Rumble which are sufficiently challenging. I’ve also posted a few times about Let’s Have Lunch from Sunset Boulevard, basically an 8 minute walking bass exercise that uses every key, time signature, fret known to man with a few soli sections thrown in for good measure. 
Overall the newer musicals tend to be a bit more interesting for bass, I’ve had When You’re an Addams on the brain at the moment although fortunately is not as fast as I initially thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for West Side Story.

I'm mid way through a weeks run of Legally Blonde. There is some challenging stuff in the show, some of it in some horrible keys! There are some good fretless numbers as well. Check out the London Cast Recording on YouTube.

Good luck with the exam.

+1 for Legally Blonde. The score is really good.

Sister Act also has some good bass parts, don't know if it would be considered grade 8 standard though. The Last 5 Years is also fantastic, especially if you're after fretless stuff.

I've not played these, but the cast recording of The Bodyguard musical has some great playing on it. Songs for a New World is also brilliant.