donslow

Yup! This one.....

AE56134A-28B4-4691-9CB1-A0AB1EADAAFB.jpeg.f68e89e4349618aa696a6ef34e251fb5.jpeg

800w 

2x10 Speakers

1x15 Speaker
4 ohms

whats not to like?

ive a chance to buy one of these at quite frankly, a ridiculous price but I don’t really know anything about them? 

decent cab? How do they sound? Although discontinued now, what are they worth?!

Thinking of teaming it up with my SVT II Pro..

thoughts....?

Okay, I have never used this cab. However I did gig with the separate  2x10 and 1x15 cabinets from the same  Peavey-era line for about 7-8 years from 2008-2015. So basically the same cab as separates. I considered this cabinet but decided on getting two different cabs so I could have a 'big' and 'small' set up as sometimes (well, a lot of times) the full stack was over the top. 

Pros: 

- the Celestion speakers are pretty damn good. In terms of sound, I would say that they are definitely 'rock' cabinets in terms of voicing.

- despite the 'Trace Elliot gear is really heavy' reputation, these cabs are very easy to move around compared with older lines. Yes the 1015h will have a bit of weight, but it will be lighter than an old Ampeg 6x10 or 4x10HLF and easier to move. 

- it looks cool.

Cons: 

- there isn't a cross over. So despite the old '10s for highs and 15 for lows' logic, unless you have a crossover you are actually running '10s for everything and the 15 for everything'. The resulting phasing issues sometimes meant the sound on stage would differ depending on where I stood and could sound dramatically different venue to venue. 

- because of the point above, at high volumes I found that the 2x10 farted out before the 15 at moderate to high volumes. So I had a 900 watt 'stack', but it really didn't cope with a high output amp (EBS Fafner or Trace V6) on very loud gigs. I found that running the big 15 on its own actually sounded better than the stack, so sold the 2x10 eventually. 

- I don't think that the Peavey era stuff has the same 'bullet proof' construction of the old Trace stuff. It is solid stuff, but I had a few loose screws over the years and the speaker cones were not properly installed into the baskets when I bought the 2x10 (maybe something happened in transit). Nothing major though. I still gig with the 1x15 cab, which is going on 12 years without any issues. 

At a bargain price, you really can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

Okay, I have never used this cab. However I did gig with the separate  2x10 and 1x15 cabinets from the same  Peavey-era line for about 7-8 years from 2008-2015. So basically the same cab as separates. I considered this cabinet but decided on getting two different cabs so I could have a 'big' and 'small' set up as sometimes (well, a lot of times) the full stack was over the top. 

Pros: 

- the Celestion speakers are pretty damn good. In terms of sound, I would say that they are definitely 'rock' cabinets in terms of voicing.

- despite the 'Trace Elliot gear is really heavy' reputation, these cabs are very easy to move around compared with older lines. Yes the 1015h will have a bit of weight, but it will be lighter than an old Ampeg 6x10 or 4x10HLF and easier to move. 

- it looks cool.

Cons: 

- there isn't a cross over. So despite the old '10s for highs and 15 for lows' logic, unless you have a crossover you are actually running '10s for everything and the 15 for everything'. The resulting phasing issues sometimes meant the sound on stage would differ depending on where I stood and could sound dramatically different venue to venue. 

- because of the point above, at high volumes I found that the 2x10 farted out before the 15 at moderate to high volumes. So I had a 900 watt 'stack', but it really didn't cope with a high output amp (EBS Fafner or Trace V6) on very loud gigs. I found that running the big 15 on its own actually sounded better than the stack, so sold the 2x10 eventually. 

- I don't think that the Peavey era stuff has the same 'bullet proof' construction of the old Trace stuff. It is solid stuff, but I had a few loose screws over the years and the speaker cones were not properly installed into the baskets when I bought the 2x10 (maybe something happened in transit). Nothing major though. I still gig with the 1x15 cab, which is going on 12 years without any issues. 

Definitely worth chewing over then, thank you for that, quite insightful

17 hours ago, thodrik said:

Pros: 

- it looks cool.

Cons: 

The crossover point is a good one. Limiting the 15 to low frquencies would improve matters a lot and get round the 2x10s farting out before the 15. @steviecould probably elaborate.

21 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The crossover point is a good one. Limiting the 15 to low frquencies would improve matters a lot and get round the 2x10s farting out before the 15. @steviecould probably elaborate.

I think that the Mesa Powerhouse 1000/1200 cab had the same issue. With a proper crossover the set up would be brilliant.

I just bought the Trace set up before I knew anything about phasing or crossovers (I was 21 and this was pre-Basschat for me). Trace Elliot themselves were still doing the '10s for highs and 15s for lows' stuff in the their suggested set ups in the promotional material.