Why become a member? ×

CS Stack Knob Jazz?

ClassicVibes

24 minutes ago, Tobe said:

The important bit !? how can 2 tones be independent when one pickup is on?

Ah, we have a difference in perspective.

Your wording " this is because they're wired in parallel to one output jack. " implied to me that you meant they are wired so that even with one pickup wound right off they both affect the other pickup (i.e. side by side directly across the output jack  - which would clearly make two tone controls redundant).

Even if that's not what you meant others could easily read it as meaning that.

15 hours ago, onehandclapping said:

I owned an original stack knob and did not like gel at all with the sound, (I have since owned some cs stackers as well with out the resistors), I own a slab 62 vvt and much prefer it over any of the stackers

It's good we don't like all the same things 🙂

I have recently acquired a CS stack knob which I am really enjoying. I haven't played a better modern jazz bass.  I have 7 other vvt jazz basses, from 80s tokai to 4 pre cbs examples. In my opinion, there is much more variation in the basic tone of a random sample of similar instruments than there would be by swapping from stack to vvt. Stack is great. As is vvt.

• Like 3

I agree with he last comment.  I am the happy owner of two stack knob basses....both relatively new.  From what's been said I would imagine my CS bass is wired to sound like a newer jazz.  The Lackland Joe Osborn also behaves the same in terms of pick up controls, but has a louder, more modern output.

Stack knob borther and sister 2 20.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I agree with he last comment.  I am the happy owner of two stack knob basses....both relatively new.  From what's been said I would imagine my CS bass is wired to sound like a newer jazz.  The Lackland Joe Osborn also behaves the same in terms of pick up controls, but has a louder, more modern output.

Yes, I've never seen the resistors (there were two) used on any of the reissues, custom shop, etc basses. Not surprising!