Why become a member? ×

Preamps and sadness

Owen

I am sitting at home on half term and doing some recording and sorting out. I have 3 DI boxes and two preamps sitting in front of me. I am NOT going to get into the ins and outs of which is which because I am not into dissing anyone's kit. However the price differential is frankly ENORMOUS here. I mean REALLY MASSSIVE!!!!! Is the sound different? For me, on one of them yes. For the rest they are really much of a muchness. The bass is a Korean MTD with an Armstrong pickup in it. It has very dead strings on it and the tone is rolled halfway off. The gain on the interface has been adjusted so that the recording level is there or thereabouts.

Edited by owen

Number one and three lack of definition, number three has even digital noises and peaks, and an even worse lack of definition, whatever it is, throw them in the bin.

Number two and four sound like transformers D.I., too mellow in the mid bass region and cutting all edge of the high frequencies, making your recordings a nightmare to cut though any mix, and with a mid scoop like all American products tend to have. Number four is compressing too much compared to number two, but these two have quite similar sound, number four being a bit more mid scooped. I would discard them for these reasons.

Number five seems to be the most even across the whole range with harmonics being present and it will be the one allowing you to post EQ very easily.

But they do all sound very different, the first four being non natural and having a strong signature. The fifth being the more neutral and even.

I am not going to say which is which becaue we all listen with our eyes and we all percieve things differently anyway. It was purely for the excercise of "wow the difference is not how our eyes percieve it to be". I freely admit to not hearing the detail that others have alluded to.

I will confess that there was a slight LF bump in the EQ of number 4 which I only noticed as I carried on recording what I set out to do originally a couple of hours after posting. Sorry about that - what an amateur.

22 minutes ago, owen said:

I am not going to say which is which becaue we all listen with our eyes and we all percieve things differently anyway. It was purely for the excercise of "wow the difference is not how our eyes percieve it to be". I freely admit to not hearing the detail that others have alluded to.

I will confess that there was a slight LF bump in the EQ of number 4 which I only noticed as I carried on recording what I set out to do originally a couple of hours after posting. Sorry about that - what an amateur.

that will explain why i liked it.

i like bass.

Here it is again. This time I have normalised everything to try and get levels more equal - there is a little clipping but I am not going for broadcast quality! The bass itself is not sounding awesome. It is a candidate for new pickups but that is a story for another day.

2 minutes ago, owen said:

Yep, this excercise is telling me all sorts of things about that particular bass. 

Wonder how the pres might perform with a different bass, as above the string balance both in volume and timbre is the most prominent feature to the casual listener (and I'm pretty casual in this context)?

I shall dig out a better bass and do it again.  I will also balance the pickup on this one. And then I will find a pair of Smith - alike humbuckers and plumb them in. Obviously, what I mean there is get someone else to plumb them in. 

I still can't stand number 2 and 4 for the same reasons.

Number 3 is better now, but still a bit lifeless like number 1.

Number 5 is still the best sounding, the more even in the response and the more "transparent".

So number 5 again.

Can you please tell me by PM what preamps are these, even if I'm pretty sure for number 2, 3 and 4 ?

So, I can delete the 4 first from my list.

Thanks a lot Owen.

• Like 1

How do they make those isolated bass tracks? I'm assuming they're not from the original multi track, and done with some kind of processing of the whole song? If that's true I doubt the original tone has survived intact.

Edit - the Flea one sounds much too clean to be anything but the actual bass track.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 1

A lot of the tracks come from the Guitar Hero / Rock Band video games of the late 2000's - people figured out how to decode the individual vocal/guitar/bass/drum stems that were included for each song, and made whole collections available on file-sharing sites 🤫

edit: To clarify - yes. the stems were taken from the original masters.

Edited by MartinB
  • Thanks 1

surprisingly varied for what is meant to be a flat response, I actually thought no 1 was the most 'honest' but of course that might be because is sounded most like my bass, we don't really know what your bass sounds like. 4 sounded a bit lifeless to me but more bassy due to some top/mid end missing, I can see why some like it but it's a sound I think would get lost in a mix. 5 sounded quite coloured but was my preferred sound. It's interesting that they were so varied but I suspect you would notice very little of this in a live performance.

It would be good at some stage once everyone has had a blind listen if you could put up what the runners were. If people are about to make a purchase I'm sure they would like to know the identity of a good cheapie and if people really did get the identities right or wrong it will help inform their opinions. It'll be fun too. 

The recording just sounds as if you've used them as a straight DI into your recording source with very little EQ.

I doubt whacking your bass through a cheap or expensive pre amp is going to make an awful lot of difference, especially playing clean (with no gain or overdrive) and with dead strings.

What were you expecting?