Why become a member? ×

Brit Awards 2020

ClassicVibes

43 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Did anyone just catch Dave's performance? Genuinely speechless. Amazing. 

I thought his piano playing was great. I wasn’t that keen on the lyrical content at first (not through dislike or prejudice, from not having had the experiences mentioned) then halfway through realised what he is doing is exactly what the music I love, punk did - pointing out inequalities and injustices, at that point I thought well done. But I still thought the piano playing was the best part of his performance.

• Like 3

Dave is great, fantastic artist

@Lozz196 you have put it exactly right, rap when done right can be exactly like punk in its principles.

Without getting too heavy, you go back to the origins and using samples etc. To make beats, guys like grandmaster flash, it’s a protest to make music. They could not afford real instruments, so broke down beats and samples.

NWA and their song F the police, all about brutality and inequality.

Dave is relevant, these problems are out there, it’s not that all people are bad, but you probably don’t realise because I would wager most people on here are moderate, and see no problems amongst people of different cultures and races.

Anyway, enough heavy stuff.

Great performance, good to see british rap/grime getting more to the front

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

Powerful performance.

I'm guessing he'll get a few negative headlines regarding the political elements of the song in the press tomorrow.

Fcuk 'em, he had every right to say them. Too many people complain about modern music having no depth and meaning but that was a brilliant, stirring performance with a real point to it. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Fcuk 'em, he had every right to say them. Too many people complain about modern music having no depth and meaning but that was a brilliant, stirring performance with a real point to it. 

24 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Probably - Pah to the press

I’m guessing the daily heil will be leading the way in condemning him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I appreciate Dave and Stormzy have their own take  on rap and their messages but for me London/English accents don't work. Think I'll stick with Compton and Brooklyn. 

Personal preferences aside, my view is that the major exposure to rap is from US rap be it East vs West coast, but real hip hop probably died in 1996 or around then, with only the odd flash here and there.

For too long british rap was held back because of under investment, but also wanting/needing to sound like US rappers to be able to sell, and then getting chastised for not sounding british, then if they sounded british, it’s not like US rap!

Grime is not rap, it’s it’s own genre and way and is moving away and being recognised on its own which is a good thing IMO.

Across the genres it’s not always the best ‘rappers’ that succeed I can name a bucket load that didn’t ascend as high as they should, BUT....... the best speaking vocalists or rappers that have an impact are also orators, case in point Zak De La Roche of RATM - not a rapper but an orator, much like Dave has done here, that’s a profound impact.

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Personal preferences aside, my view is that the major exposure to rap is from US rap be it East vs West coast, but real hip hop probably died in 1996 or around then, with only the odd flash here and there.

Yep, can't say I care for most rap/hip hop acts that  have emerged since the mid 90s. For me there's only been one decent act so far this millennium and that's Run The Jewels., who have a line in anti-capitalism

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owen said:

On all fronts. Why is it left to musicians to get this stuff heard?

I think it’s due to both that for one they usually come from the backgrounds described so it’s personal but also that the musical platform gives the opportunity to air said views to a wide audience. Going back to my punk analogy I’m sure there were many disaffected youths around before The Sex Pistols/Clash/SLF raised their voices, they just voiced what was important at the time to said youth.