Why become a member? ×

Favourite Bass Guitar Designs

PatrickJ

I couldn't find any I, Q, U or X manufacturers whose bases I liked.

So I cheated with the (Switch) Innovo, (Riverhead) Unicorn.

I could have also had the (Vaccaro) X-Ray but I didn't think it was different enough in looks - it's essentially a pointy P-J bass with a semi-aluminium neck.

And the (Knuckle) Quake but again it's very ordinary looking apart from the 39" scale length.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The design is part of what attracts me to a bass in the first place, so I'd be happy to put the ones I own onto the list:  Rickenbacker 4001, Warwick Streamer and (very soon to be delivered) Wal Mk 2 (much prefer to Mk 1 and Mk 3). 

Quite fancy one of the new Rickenbacker 4003s fivers - avoided the previous (non 4003) five strings that they do like the Laredo because they just don't look right without the pickguard.  Though I'd much prefer a non-s version, with binding and fret inlays 

Which brings me to the Thunderbird.  the one design I love but don't have...because they haven't done a five string as standard.  Though I am quite tempted by one of these

image.jpeg.adea53ff258cca8784b12eae6774ea2c.jpeg

also quite like an Ibanez Iceman

image.jpeg.880f8b2cd0e7c16ccfea5ceef299b5a9.jpeg

but again, no five strings...so this caught my eye, a Phillipe Dubreuille, like the offspring of a 4001 and an Iceman

Full-Front_99f929a6-dfee-40dd-afa0-877441b7ed3b.jpg?v=1544927487

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I far preferred the shape of the E-C tuned 5-string prototype Fly that Steve Swallow used for many years.

PSX_20200219_151020.jpg

The production version of the Fly Bass is probably the most uncomfortable instrument I've ever had the misfortune to play. 

Which is a pity as the original guitar version is a fantastic instrument.

• Like 1