Why become a member? ×

Favourite Bass Guitar Designs

PatrickJ

17 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I prefer a Jazz to a Precision, however in the bigger scheme of things I wouldn't call either "a good looking bass".

Personally I think the design on the Bass Collection Nanyo has a lot going for it.

The Bass Collection SGC Nanyo MIJ Precision Bass

Love the body shape, however the headstock is a bit dated.

The Spector/ Warwick design is another favourite, the curved body IMO was a great innovation.

Second Hand Spector NS-2000/4

Again, IMO there are "classic lines" in design. When we designed my Psilos Bass one of my cues was having the top volute flow into the lower.

_MG_2313.thumb.JPG.d6e6e81148bd7b7e4aab8f70f7615e66.JPG

You can see this design cue on the Warwick Dolphin and several of the Ritter designs which influenced the final shape.

Dear Mr. Greek,

Given that my main basses are 5-string Spectors, but also that my 4-string is a Bass Collection EXACTLY as depicted, right down to colour (except that the one above doesn't appear to have the scratch where it fell out of a gig bag that wasn't properly zipped up 9_9) … plus, if I were commissioning a luthier build, I would probably ask that nice Mr. Cringean to build me some singlecuts that looked very much like the Psilos…..then I find it very difficult indeed to disagree with anything that you have said.

Kind regards

Mango of Tango

Always good to see some love for the Thunderbird.

"The Gibson Thunderbird is the crazy drunk chick you won’t bring home to meet your mama. She’s wild, she’s the sexiest thing ever, she doesn’t do anything all that great, she’s fragile or broken, and she’s very expensive. She’s a one trick pony in a bad, bad way, and has a nasty attitude (like showing up at the prom in a leather jacket). She won’t balance, won’t intonate, and is big and clumsy—the bass equivalent of a blown Chevelle.

All that said, no other bass has the tone, sexiness, or attitude of a T-Bird"

Kevin Borden - Premier Guitar Magazine

rik_tbird.jpg

Edited by DaytonaRik

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well plenty of evidence here that... it's a matter of personal taste.

Interesting to see a third version of what a volute is (clue the original word means snail's shell).

I also quite like this which may have a 'P' pickup but manages not to look like one:

555098564_Westone(5).thumb.JPG.87432786b5f51737369c68783cf0e9d9.JPG389598842_Westone(1).thumb.JPG.66ab4bcfc566818783df22ae95d03920.JPG

Beautiful! :o

:x

• Like 2